Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

new 52' chevy deluxe

Search this Thread

Old July 21st, 2012, 1:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new 52' chevy deluxe

Im trying to look up service manuals for this beauty. Does anybody know about servicing the brake/clutch cylinder that is located beneath the driver floor? the clutch works fine but i have no brakes and the pedal sticks to the floor. im thinking about flushing the fluid and replacing the springs so the pedal does not stick, any ideas? ive never worked on brakes before, so any help would be appreciated.
Old July 21st, 2012, 3:02 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

You have a slave cylinder much like the wheel cylinder on your brakes. You'd have to be more specific about the brakes. If you have to rekit the wheel cylinders, be sure to hone them before installing the cups, and that not only are they correct size, but installed properly as they can go in backwards.
Old July 21st, 2012, 6:57 PM
CF Monarch

Received 362 Likes on 343 Posts

The brake pedal is attached to the master cylinder under the floor. You will need to get under the car to see it. You will have to determine if something is broken. Probably need to rebuild or replace the master cylinder. If it isn't too bad you can buy a kit and rebuild it. You do need a wheel cylinder hone to clean it up good and then replace the parts included in the kit. The clutch is mechanical and has no slave cylinder, just a spring that pulls it back. It is directly connected to the clutch fork. If the master cylinder is that bad you will probably need to rebuild or replace all 4 wheel cylinders.
Old July 21st, 2012, 7:29 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by oldchevy
The brake pedal is attached to the master cylinder under the floor. You will need to get under the car to see it. You will have to determine if something is broken. Probably need to rebuild or replace the master cylinder. If it isn't too bad you can buy a kit and rebuild it. You do need a wheel cylinder hone to clean it up good and then replace the parts included in the kit. The clutch is mechanical and has no slave cylinder, just a spring that pulls it back. It is directly connected to the clutch fork. If the master cylinder is that bad you will probably need to rebuild or replace all 4 wheel cylinders.
Excuse me? Hydraulic clutchs have been around longer than me.
Old July 21st, 2012, 7:42 PM
CF Monarch

I'm going to leave this as it is, hop in my 88 and do some driving............
Old July 21st, 2012, 7:54 PM
CF Monarch

Since oldchevy is the expert, I'll leave it as is, goodbye
Old July 22nd, 2012, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gees !, you don't realize how topics like this, bring back some very fond memories... uoooo yea !

I had these same questions about a 49 Olds 2dr Fastback, in about 1957.