Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/general-tech-10/)
-   -   New Clutch!! (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/general-tech-10/new-clutch-24115/)

suzuki-guy July 1st, 2009 9:13 PM

What do you mean by Bench bleed?

suzuki-guy July 1st, 2009 11:05 PM

Yes its attached at the transmission, firewall, and engine. It's a pain in the but to get off!!

suzuki-guy July 1st, 2009 11:23 PM

Im just going to bleed it once every two hours for a day and then drive it! Thanx for the advice guys ill let you know how it goes tommorow!!!

MDTAHOE July 2nd, 2009 6:58 AM

Fill the master before you put it ain the truck. Push the rod in put you finger over the hole let the rod back out then repeat the process untill fluid comes out of the hole

shawnvw July 2nd, 2009 1:40 PM

Its all about the angle of the dangle. you cannot bench bleed a master while it is installed. The entire purpose of bench bleeding is to get the master at the right angle so the air moves towards the lines and doesn't get stuck at the end of the master. Not only that, while bench bleeding, you can push the plunger further with a screwdriver, than you can with a pedal. Although it is not recommended, I have found it is needed to get all the air out.

one way around removing the master again is to jack the front or back end up so the master is level.

The best way to bleed the fluid is to have a helper pump the pedal 5 or 6 times(All the way to the Floor, then All the way to the top), then hold it to the floor. You go underneath and open the bleeder just enough for fluid to come out. close the bleeder screw and repeat. Always making sure the reservoir is full. I usually take a tall can of fluid and put it on its end in the top of the reservoir so it constantly feeds fluid. Continue doing this untill you see solid fluid coming out.

not to be a downer here or anything, but are you sure you have the right clutch? did you replace the pressure plate?
The way you are explaining the pedal and the shifting is going to be either a lot of air built up, or the clutch is too thick and cannot freewheel between the pressure plate and flywheel

shawnvw July 2nd, 2009 1:47 PM

Just checked Mitchell, Some techs seem to have close to your problem.....here's what they have to say

Question: CLUTCH MASTER SLAVE OR PRSSURE PLATE
This tip has not yet been rated.

http://www.ondemand5.com/mric/common...ill_star_0.gif <MAP style="WHITE-SPACE: nowrap" name=mapdis.map><AREA onmouseover="HandleRatingMouseOver('Not Helpful','over_star_1.gif');" onclick=HandleRatingClick(1); onmouseout=HandleRatingMouseOut() shape=RECT alt="Not Helpful" coords=0,0,30,30 href="#"><AREA onmouseover="HandleRatingMouseOver('Average','over _star_2.gif');" onclick=HandleRatingClick(2); onmouseout=HandleRatingMouseOut() shape=RECT alt=Average coords=30,0,60,30 href="#"><AREA onmouseover="HandleRatingMouseOver('Good','over_st ar_3.gif');" onclick=HandleRatingClick(3); onmouseout=HandleRatingMouseOut() shape=RECT alt=Good coords=60,0,90,30 href="#"><AREA onmouseover="HandleRatingMouseOver('Must Read','over_star_4.gif');" onclick=HandleRatingClick(4); onmouseout=HandleRatingMouseOut() shape=RECT alt="Must Read" coords=90,0,120,30 href="#"><AREA noHref=nohref shape=RECT alt="" coords=0,0,0,0></MAP>
Click to rate tip.

Showing 1-12 of 12
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="97%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=4 height=5></TD></TR><TR><TD width=7></TD><TD vAlign=top>Posted By: Tech1</TD><TD align=right></TD><TD width=7></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left colSpan=2>Shop: HOWELLS AMOCO
Date: 7/18/2008 10:00:47 AM

HAVING TROUBLE WITH A STICKY CLUTCH PEDAL WHEN USED ( THIS IS IN A TOW TRUCK) CLUTCH, SLAVE, MASTER NEW 3 WEEKS AGO. APPRECIATE ANY HELP.
</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=4 height=10></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=4 height=5></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="97%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=4 height=5></TD></TR><TR><TD width=7></TD><TD vAlign=top>Posted By: Tech1</TD><TD align=right></TD><TD width=7></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left colSpan=2>Shop: T AND T REPAIR
Date: 7/18/2008 10:43:03 AM

What condition was trans front bearing retainer in?

</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=4 height=10></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=4 height=5></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="97%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=4 height=5></TD></TR><TR><TD width=7></TD><TD vAlign=top>Posted By: Tech1</TD><TD align=right></TD><TD width=7></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left colSpan=2>Shop: HOWELLS AMOCO
Date: 7/18/2008 10:53:49 AM

pliot bearing? it has been replaced as well.condition did not appear until after clutch package was installed we did clutch master and slave a week later conditon appeared after clutch was worked on at another shop one shop says our parts are junk and i say there parts are junk

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="97%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=4 height=5></TD></TR><TR><TD width=7></TD><TD vAlign=top>Posted By: Tech1</TD><TD align=right></TD><TD width=7></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left colSpan=2>Shop: T AND T REPAIR
Date: 7/18/2008 11:07:34 AM

Bearing retainer is the peice the throw out bearing rides on.I've seen them get rough and bearing doesn't slide well. Was the clutch asm. a new set or was it reman? I've quit useing reman becouse of tolerance problems.
Thom

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="97%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=4 height=5></TD></TR><TR><TD width=7></TD><TD vAlign=top>Posted By: Tech1</TD><TD align=right></TD><TD width=7></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left colSpan=2>Shop: MOTOR PARTS NAPA
Date: 7/18/2008 11:09:50 AM

not the pilot bearing in the crank..... the trans bearing retainer ,, sleeve the throughout bearing rides back and foth on bad about having a groove worn into them ..will cause bearing to hang as it is being released...

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="97%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=4 height=5></TD></TR><TR><TD width=7></TD><TD vAlign=top>Posted By: Tech1</TD><TD align=right></TD><TD width=7></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left colSpan=2>Shop: BRETS AUTOMOTIVE CENTER
Date: 7/18/2008 11:54:03 AM

bearing sleeve is bad been there

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="97%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=4 height=5></TD></TR><TR><TD width=7></TD><TD vAlign=top>Posted By: BloodKnuckles</TD><TD align=right></TD><TD width=7></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left colSpan=2>Shop: VINNIES AUTO AND TRUCK REPAIR
Date: 7/18/2008 12:05:07 PM

I put the throw-out bearing in backwards once, old master tech said flip it around that will be good as new you don't need a new one ya little whipper-snapper, oldtimers are ruthless. Agree with previous statements inspect and clean rough spots.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="97%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=4 height=5></TD></TR><TR><TD width=7></TD><TD vAlign=top>Posted By: Tech1</TD><TD align=right></TD><TD width=7></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left colSpan=2>Shop: BUTCHS AUTOMOTIVE SERVICE
Date: 7/18/2008 2:16:50 PM

Does this have a pivot stud for the clutch fork? If it dose I have seen the pivot and fork both get worn and cause all kinds of problems , from not operating smoothly to breaking clutch master cyl. from to mutch pedal effort because of binding clutch fork. If eiter one is worn I rec. replacing both.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="97%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=4 height=5></TD></TR><TR><TD width=7></TD><TD vAlign=top>Posted By: Tech1</TD><TD align=right></TD><TD width=7></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left colSpan=2>Shop: GATEWAY AUTO CENTER
Date: 7/18/2008 3:10:24 PM

We are working on a 95 K1500 today. The clutch pivot ball and release fork are shot as mentioned above. Dealer had the stuff in stock, that tells me they go bad a lot.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="97%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=4 height=5></TD></TR><TR><TD width=7></TD><TD vAlign=top>Posted By: JakeP.</TD><TD align=right></TD><TD width=7></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left colSpan=2>Shop: JAKES AUTOMOTIVE
Date: 7/18/2008 8:57:54 PM

If you go back in I believe I would try another clutch. Seem like new clutches are easier to push than the old ones. We have been replacing more new fuel pumps than the old ones here lately for some reason.
--------the jake

Date: 7/19/2008 7:19:41 AM

Everything in the clutch assembly is new, even the fork pivot ball (Luk parts). I'm finding brass shavings in the clutch master only after being on the truck for a week. Again this is a Tow Truck used every day. Even the OEM parts does this.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

suzuki-guy July 2nd, 2009 1:49 PM

I fixed it I just had to bleed it twenty times! I replaced eveything Shawn flywheel, clutch plate,pressure plate, pilot, and throwout bearings!! Thank you guys for all your help!!!

suzuki-guy July 10th, 2009 5:49 PM

Whirring noise

Clutch makes whirring noise when the clutch is let out and goes away when it is pressed in. It is my throwout bearing and it is not very loud. I can only hear it when I am at a drive through and it is echoing off the wall. Is this normal?

MDTAHOE July 11th, 2009 11:48 AM

Not really normal but not worth pulling trans back out to take care of. That noise is not always the throw out bearing. I had a car once that we would have swore the throw out was really bad pulled the trans replace clutch and bearing put it all the way back together and the noise was exactly the same. It ended up being the bearings in the front of the trans. We put a used trans in and the noise was gone.

therewolf July 11th, 2009 3:14 PM

MDTAHOE's right.

If the bearing goes bad, then you'd be able to justify ripping it all apart, but at some point, you have to realize there's literally no such thing as absolutely perfect.

Turn up the radio, and you won't notice a thing...