Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

4L60-E issue

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2023, 8:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60-E issue

Hello all. I've searched the net and haven't come up with similar symptoms so I'm throwing this issue out here.

1997 K1500 Suburban. I've rebuilt the transmission twice now. The first rebuild lasted about 30K miles before the transmission pump ring exploded. I was worried about metallic bits so I replaced all the clutches at that point and this go around has less than 10K miles on it.

Transmission shifts all gears, but if I get on the throttle it makes a loud clicking sound, like a playing card on bicycle spokes, but metallic. (A fad from my childhood.) It doesn't happen in 1st, only happens in 2nd if I really step on it, and will happen in 3/4 if I don't baby it. ( I can't remember if acceleration was impacted or not, it's been awhile since I've driven it.)

I pulled the transmission and have it disassembled. Nothing obvious shows up. I would have thought from the sound of it a planetary was cracked or there would be metal filings all over. Nothing really looks wrong. I haven't disassembled the pump, reverse drum, or valve body.

At this point I'm thinking maybe the torque converter is the problem, but I would think if it were the torque converter it would happen in all gears.

Has anyone run into something like this?
Old April 28th, 2023, 4:30 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by urb0123
Hello all. I've searched the net and haven't come up with similar symptoms so I'm throwing this issue out here.

1997 K1500 Suburban. I've rebuilt the transmission twice now. The first rebuild lasted about 30K miles before the transmission pump ring exploded. I was worried about metallic bits so I replaced all the clutches at that point and this go around has less than 10K miles on it.

Transmission shifts all gears, but if I get on the throttle it makes a loud clicking sound, like a playing card on bicycle spokes, but metallic. (A fad from my childhood.) It doesn't happen in 1st, only happens in 2nd if I really step on it, and will happen in 3/4 if I don't baby it. ( I can't remember if acceleration was impacted or not, it's been awhile since I've driven it.)

I pulled the transmission and have it disassembled. Nothing obvious shows up. I would have thought from the sound of it a planetary was cracked or there would be metal filings all over. Nothing really looks wrong. I haven't disassembled the pump, reverse drum, or valve body.

At this point I'm thinking maybe the torque converter is the problem, but I would think if it were the torque converter it would happen in all gears.

Has anyone run into something like this?
I'm no expert at auto transmissions but if I had to repair one I'd 6.0 the torque converter as well.