Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Power steering pump (EVO bypass?)

Search this Thread

Old July 21st, 2014, 11:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering pump (EVO bypass?)

Hello, I have a 1998 c1500 that has been having issues since day one of getting it, but that's all in the past and I'm dealing with smaller issues which keep adding up.

Right now I've been doing some research on bypassing the EVO (steering position sensor?) on the power steering pump and can't really seem to find a straight answer. Long story short, my pump is going bad and leaking, squealing, etc. However upon purchasing a new pump I'm not sure which to go with; with or without EVO. Didn't know what it was until I started reading the problems associated. Turns out there is this "twitching" thing is occurring on my vehicle as well will going through a corner (I just thought it was a bad pump).

Upon looking for a new pump I've seen pumps that come with a EVO bypass tube. Question is, I don't feel like dropping any more money than I need to on a new sensor just to have it fail again later down the road, so, is the bypassing of the sensor as easy as getting a pump with that C-looking pipe?

A1 Cardone 20-8748FVB Power Steering Pump | Auto Parts Warehouse

This is the pump I'm looking at (again, not sure if these are good or not). I need to get this fixed ASAP and really don't know if I should bypass or just get a pump with a new sensor. Any help/advice is appreciated.
Old July 22nd, 2014, 10:51 AM
CF Beginner

no one can shed some light on this topic?
Old March 10th, 2015, 10:21 PM
CF Beginner

I don't think it will help you at this late date but I recently changed out a bad pump and replaced all the hoses, the steering gearbox, inner and outer tierod ends, upper and lower ball joints, front shocks, idler and pitman arm, inner and outer wheel bearings, front and rear disc and drum brakes, brake pads, alternator, battery, air intake duct work and filter, and that's about all I can think of in the first year. But this relates to the power steering pump.

I was told by the mechanic I've used for over 30 years that the sensor related to the power steering pump senses when the steering is turned one way or the other to maximum travel it kicks up the RPM a bit so the engine does not stall because of the load. I replaced my pump with a rebuilt that had everything my old pump had.