Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

"Service Theft Deterrent System" Vehicle won't start - new battery

Search this Thread

Old August 5th, 2016, 7:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Chevy Malibu

2012 Chevy Malibu reprogram without dealership is there a way
Old November 13th, 2016, 7:10 PM
CF Beginner

Default Theft Deterrent System/ Flashing on Dashboard

I'm having the same problem with my 2013 Chevy cruze this has happened before, I got a new battery in September 2016!! Now tonight it happens again could someone help me please my warranty has expired and I don't have all that money to spend .
Old May 15th, 2017, 9:12 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2011 suburban

I have a 2011 chev suburban and one day randomly I tried to start my car and this went off. My car works fine but the "service theft deterrent" light is still on which annoys/worst me. Seems like a common prob w chevs. Wish chev would do something about this
Old June 8th, 2017, 4:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2013 Malibu locked out

So my car was actually stolen. After paying $300 to get it out of the tow yard, I'm sitting here with a car that won't start.

How do do we reset this deterrent system? Tried the battery reset and touch the ends. No work.

Trying to 10 min turn key thing. But the tow yard is closing in a bit.
Old September 22nd, 2017, 7:15 AM
CF Beginner

2014 Impala.
Battery replaced in 2017

Two weeks in a row, I'm getting "Service Theft Deterrent System." Last week, when it happens, I left the car in a safe location and was going to have the car towed to the dealership the next morning. The next morning it started right up and ran great until this morning. After 5 minutes, the car started up.

Any new advice?
Old October 8th, 2017, 10:29 AM
CF Beginner

Same issue with my 2014 Impala..For a couple of weeks would get in and try to crank and it would not. I would do a lock/unlock ritual with the key fob and it would crank. Then last week, got home and out of car. Husband asked me to move car, car would not turn over at all, even with my rituals. He checked battery all seemed good there, did unhook and hook back. Left it for a while and came back and it cranked right up. Then next morning was leaving to go to work, nothing. So I took his truck to work. He later got in there that morning and it cranked, so he took up to the dealership. They confirmed it wasn't the key fobs...but decided it was the power cables, both were pulling the opposite of what they said it should. Sorry don't remember what they said, it sounded like "blah blah" to me. So $310 later they replaced both cables. ALl seemed to be working fine for a couple of days...then it started again! I think Chevrolet needs to get their act together on this...seems to be a pretty big issue they need to resolve and all of this should be a recall of some sort...My husband and I bleed Chevrolet blue, but even he is threatening to move to another brand if can't get this fixed.

So if anyone has any other ideas, I am all ears! I am afraid to take car sometimes in case I can't get it cranked again...I need my reliable vehicle back!
Old October 20th, 2017, 11:26 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks to some posts that steer you in the right direction i tried the battery thing and it didn't work on mine and then i tried to relearn method and it took several tries. it would be the 10 minutes, 20 minutes and 30 minutes method. depending on individual bases it might work first try or second try or the third.
1- try to start the car, if it won't turn over and the Lock symbol stays on then leave it with the ignition in the on position for ten minutes. after ten min. turn to off position and wait 20 seconds try to start if it doesn't don't turn to off and leave for another 10 minutes then off for 20 sec. and try to start. if it doesn't start don't turn to off position and leave for another 10 min. then turn to off for 20 sec. and try to start. mine started at this point and was fine and happppppy.
I hope yours does the same thing. otherwise i think you have to tow to dealer and my parts department at chevy dealer said they will charge $40 to do the programming for you.
Some cases the receiver transmitter in the vehicle goes bad and that cost over 200 for part then installation and reprogram. hope its not your case.
Old November 18th, 2017, 5:24 PM
CF Beginner

My 2015 Cruze is having same problem, I drove it home and when I went to go out it wouldn't start. Got same messages and tried cleaning battery post and still nothing. This is my second Chevy Cruze and both had problems. I was thinking on buying Chevy truck but with problems like these I don't know if I want to buy another Chevy product ever.
Old November 20th, 2017, 3:58 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by deesguy
My 2015 Cruze is having same problem, I drove it home and when I went to go out it wouldn't start. Got same messages and tried cleaning battery post and still nothing. This is my second Chevy Cruze and both had problems. I was thinking on buying Chevy truck but with problems like these I don't know if I want to buy another Chevy product ever.
Hey Deesguy , don't down a car for such problem. I am a auto remarketing company and i buy all different model cars and everyone of them have different issues. so if you buy a ford you might not have this issue but i bet you will have a different one.. i buy hyundai and a lot of them the steering makes a clunking noise and it actually moves up and down and it is because of a $1.50 rubber part in the electric steering that goes bad. so unless it is not major like the CVT transmission on nissans, you can't judge a manufacturer with these things problem. the problem is the computer they use in cars these days which help you diagnose a problem but electronics goes bad like your laptop and tv.
Old November 21st, 2017, 7:43 AM
CF Beginner

good to know, thanks

Quick Reply: "Service Theft Deterrent System" Vehicle won't start - new battery