Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/general-tech-10/)
-   -   Transmission Help (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/general-tech-10/transmission-help-94182/)

Kimberly Piwowarczyk Prentice February 9th, 2019 1:11 PM

Transmission Help

Looking for assistance we had an issue come out of no where and the recommendation is a complete replacement. Worried because we do not have any knowledge base on vehicles we do not know if what we are being told is correct! We have a Chevy Silverado 2500HD we noticed 2 days ago Truck was shifting a bit hard between 1 and 2 no big issue. On day 3 drove it about 17 miles and it parked for about 7 hours came out started fine, pulled out of parking spot and drove to corner of lot. Engine light came on and would not go into and gear easily. The engine light came on and we were able to get 1 mile down road to an auto zone and had the codes read. It’s results were P2723 and PO700. It now would not go forward or backwards. Had it towed to a repair shop and they are saying there are leaks in the lines and they tried to add transmission fluid. They are reporting a completely blown transmission. Needs to be replaced. Does that sound right that it could go from fine to dead? Please advise if this sounds correct or is there something else we need to be asking or trying. Any help, advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated we are in way over our head with truck issues vs truck knowledge.
Thank you in advance for any life-line thrown!
Kim

Rednucleus February 9th, 2019 2:43 PM

Year and mileage? How long have you owned it? Do you have it regularly serviced by a trusted mechanic?

Kimberly Piwowarczyk Prentice February 9th, 2019 4:30 PM

Chevy Silverado 2500HD
We are the only owner
188,000 mileage
First approximately 100,000 seasonal towing 5th wheel
Remaining mileage to work and back mostly expressway
95,000 Powertain replaced
Exhaust Manafold replaced approximately at 140,000
We have never needed a regular mechanic the 2 major repairs were on the road when traveling

Doug D February 10th, 2019 6:12 AM

I googled P2723 and found this:

https://www.obd-codes.com/p2723

P2723 - OBD-II Trouble Code | BestRide.com

Looks like it could be several items:Defective Pressure Control Solenoid
Dirty or Contaminated Fluid
Dirty or Clogged Transmission Filter
Defective Transmission Pump
Defective Transmission Valve Body
Restricted hydraulic passages
Corroded or damaged connector
Faulty or damaged wiring
Faulty PCM

Common Repairs:

Changing Fluid and Filter
Replace faulty Pressure Control Solenoid
Repair or Replace faulty Transmission Pump
Repair or Replace faulty Valve Body
Transmission Flush
Clean corrosion from connectors
Repair or Replace wiring
Flashing or Replacing PCM

Seem everything I read is pointing towards a faulty solenoid or possible connection/wiring issues. Fluid leakage would have to be fixed. None of the links suggested a rebuild of the transmission though with as many miles as yours has and the fact that it has towed a lot, you may want to consider going that route.

Hope that helps.

Kimberly Piwowarczyk Prentice February 10th, 2019 4:13 PM

It does thank you!

andrew000 September 25th, 2020 12:32 PM

Hello,

I'm experiencing a similar issue with my 2009 Suburban with a 6L90. It's reporting the same P0700 and P2723 code. The car doesn't go forward or reverse. I plan to drain the tranny oil and inspect the pressure solenoid this weekend. I'm hoping to get feedback from folks with similar codes/symptoms AND the final resolution. Is there an easy way to diagnose/confirm a pump/converter issue?

The truck has 138K miles. Is it better to replace it with a rebuild with upgrades to address the typical weaknesses of the tranny? If so, what upgrades are suggested?

Thanks.