Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Valve guide seals question

Search this Thread

Old October 25th, 2014, 8:09 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve guide seals question

I have a 69 Impala convertible with a later year 350 in it. I am replacing the valve guide seals because I have some smoke on one side upon startup. I purchased umbrella type of seals for it, but when I removed the first valve spring, it only had an "O" ring seal about a 1/4" below the valve locks. My question is, do I put only the umbrella type seals in it, or both the umbrella seals and the "O" ring seals? It doesn't appear that either seal will interfere with the other if I use both. I have checked with some local parts houses and a couple of mechanics I know, but nobody has been able to advise me on the use of both seals. Does anyone have a good answer for this question?

Harv
Old October 25th, 2014, 10:32 PM
CF Veteran

don't worry about the o-ring seals they don't do any thing just a band aid .all they control the is what goes between the valve lock's .they just make the mfg feel better.
Old October 26th, 2014, 6:45 PM
CF Junior Member

Default Valve guide seals

Thanks for the info Bill. I went on Youtube last night and saw that both seals are used. I, like you, really don't see the purpose of the "O" ring seal, but also know the car companies don't put anything on a car that isn't needed. It is too far away from the guide and looks too small to me to do any good. Since I have the valve cover off, I think I will install both the "O" ring and the umbrella seals. What I don't understand is why there wasn't any umbrella seals on the left side. That's probably why that side smokes upon startup. I don't have the right side apart yet to see if it has umbrella seals. The engine is really tight and has super compression so I don't think the guides or valve stems are worn. We will see what happens when I get all the new seals installed and I start it up.

Harv
Old October 26th, 2014, 9:42 PM
CF Veteran

the umbrella seal's were a after thought buy the gasket company's i think .only guessing