HHR This retro crossover vehicle combines the usefulness of a minivan with the size of a mid sized car.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out ChevyHHR.net

Anti Theft mode intermittent problem.

Search this Thread

Old February 22nd, 2018, 5:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti Theft mode intermittent problem.

About 4 months ago my girlfriend bought a 2006 Chevy HHR, since she bought it it has been randomly activating the anti theft mode while driving. I'm going to run down the problems I've noticed, my attempts to fix it and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I have looked everywhere online and I cannot find any solution to this. Randomly while drive the following happens:

All gauge lights flashing
Really hard shifts in the transmission
So slow to down shift the car will actually stall if you brake too fast
Sputtering and loss of power

I have checked every fuse I could find, nothing fixed it. I tried getting a key made from the vin number from the Chevy dealership, no fix. I tried getting a new battery, no fix. I checked all the grounds I could find as well as running a new fresh ground wire from the battery with no fix. I replaced the battery terminals, no fix. The only thing that relieves this problem is there is a fuse that goes to the PASSKEY system (possibly goes to the ignition switch as well, can't remember) on the passenger side of the center console, when I replace this fuse the problem is fixed immediately. It stays fixed for a random amount of time, sometimes a month or two, sometimes a couple days. I have no idea what else to try and I have had no leads on anything online that could fix this that I haven't tried already. Also there is no code being shown, the light lights up when the vehicle is started and I checked the computer for any thrown codes myself and nothing is there.

A couple other random (possibly related) notes. The key will not come out of the ignition without pressing the manual button to release the key under the steering column. No matter what or when, it has never came out without pressing that button. Also the gear shifter can be put into gear without pressing the release button on the front of the shifter. From the few things I've read these two things are related and caused by something in the gear shifter being broken or gone bad. But I cannot find anyone who has stated what part I would need to fix this and rock auto doesn't offer any information to guide me to the right path. I most likely can fix this issue myself if I knew what part I needed and what exactly is broken.

I am unsure if the shifter and key issue is related to the anti theft mode, as I haven't found anyone who has had both in common. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was. If anyone could please point me in a direction to get this resolved it would be greatly appreciated. I wouldn't mind just dealing with it myself, but every time this happens my girlfriend has to park, get out and change the fuse just so she can drive without being scared to death. I have considered just leaving the fuse out and seeing if that remedies the issue, but I am unsure if that will just cause more problems. Anyone have any knowledge on leaving the fuse out?

Last edited by scaryjam823; February 22nd, 2018 at 5:32 PM.
Old November 6th, 2021, 1:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having same or similar problem right now lost all power though previous anti theft system all dash lights going crazy battery died and wont start my check engine light stays on and some times it hard to shift out my key also gets stuck in ignition but I can remove mine if my anti theft ain't messed up but my gear shifter is the same way. If u have any info please let me know greatly appreciated.
Old November 6th, 2021, 12:22 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

Usually when a fuse opens(blows) there is a short to ground in the circuit.
As far as a silver bullet fix, not known.
What I would look for is any wiring that is getting rubbed against in the shifter area creating the path to ground. Look for a wire that may have a bare spot that is getting contacted when the shifter is in a certain position. This will take some determination and maybe getting under the vehicle and playing detective. Just about any good diagnosis starts with a detailed visual inspection. Let us know how you make out with this , OK, thanks.