HHR This retro crossover vehicle combines the usefulness of a minivan with the size of a mid sized car.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out ChevyHHR.net

Evaporator drain

Search this Thread

Old June 6th, 2014, 10:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never mind! Found and replaced resistor. No Help. Water has ruined motor.
Old June 9th, 2014, 6:24 AM
CF Beginner

I changed out the resistor which clips in to it's spot, no bolts or screws. Just follow the lead coming out of the front of the blower motor around the back and there it is! Unfortunately that didn't work and I had to change out the blower motor, too. And yes, as is shown on the A1 Auto video for a Chevy Cobalt, the old motor needs to be cut out with a utility knife and reinstall the new one with a metal ring and screws. It's not as bad as it sounds and it works great.
Old February 21st, 2015, 8:29 PM
CF Beginner

Default ok...found it

well..i found the drain....its just left of center...facing the firewall ...couldnt blow air..but did use the vacum trick....water poured ouot for about a minute....
Old June 11th, 2015, 10:16 AM
CF Beginner

Smile Cleaned plugged AC drain 2010 HHR

I thought I'd add to the discussion, so others might understand this task a little clearer. After reading the discussion here, and looking at the pictures, I still didn't quite get how to find the ac drain, and how to get to it to clean it.

Mine's a 2010 HHR.

I discovered I had a blocked AC drain when I started hearing sloshing sounds (actually just like a rain stick if you know what that is) whenever I made a 90 degree turn, left or right. I was lucky that no water spilled out into the cabin - got it fixed in time.

Finding the drain:
The best way I found to locate the drain is to open the hood, and stand on the driver's side of the engine. Look across the engine to the passenger side, and up against the firewall. Use a flashlight on the firewall, and you will clearly see a stub of black pipe sticking out of the firewall - you will be able to match this to pictures on other threads here (search for Evaporator Drain).

I don't have access to a lift, and there is no clearance under the car. It's possible to reach the drain from the engine compartment, but its about a 2-3 foot reach, hard to do without an extender tool. However, I discovered a little trick that worked well.

I turned the front wheels all the way to the right - clockwise. If you do this, there is enough access behind the passenger side front wheel to reach in from underneath and access the drain.

I used the 2-foot solid plastic wand adapter that comes with my shop vac. I turned the vac on and reached up to the drain opening with the wand. Once I got the vac onto the drain opening, it sucked it right open. Water started coming out and the evap successfully drained.

Afterwards, I opened the cabin filter compartment behind the glove box and found some moisture there that I dried up with a towel. I went ahead and replaced the filter since it might have mold growing.

Everything seems to be ship shape again.
Old August 4th, 2017, 12:44 PM
CF Beginner

2009 HHR, have blown out 5 times, each time a ton of water comes out but clogs right back up. Advice?
Old June 26th, 2018, 9:36 AM
CF Beginner

Default @OregonHHR-Best Post seen on the web

Originally Posted by OregonHHR
I thought I'd add to the discussion, so others might understand this task a little clearer. After reading the discussion here, and looking at the pictures, I still didn't quite get how to find the ac drain, and how to get to it to clean it.

Mine's a 2010 HHR.

I discovered I had a blocked AC drain when I started hearing sloshing sounds (actually just like a rain stick if you know what that is) whenever I made a 90 degree turn, left or right. I was lucky that no water spilled out into the cabin - got it fixed in time.

Finding the drain:
The best way I found to locate the drain is to open the hood, and stand on the driver's side of the engine. Look across the engine to the passenger side, and up against the firewall. Use a flashlight on the firewall, and you will clearly see a stub of black pipe sticking out of the firewall - you will be able to match this to pictures on other threads here (search for Evaporator Drain).

I don't have access to a lift, and there is no clearance under the car. It's possible to reach the drain from the engine compartment, but its about a 2-3 foot reach, hard to do without an extender tool. However, I discovered a little trick that worked well.

I turned the front wheels all the way to the right - clockwise. If you do this, there is enough access behind the passenger side front wheel to reach in from underneath and access the drain.

I used the 2-foot solid plastic wand adapter that comes with my shop vac. I turned the vac on and reached up to the drain opening with the wand. Once I got the vac onto the drain opening, it sucked it right open. Water started coming out and the evap successfully drained.

Afterwards, I opened the cabin filter compartment behind the glove box and found some moisture there that I dried up with a towel. I went ahead and replaced the filter since it might have mold growing.

Everything seems to be ship shape again.
I have to ask; are you sure you turned the front tires all the way to the right? Or to the left! Is the drain to the front side behind tire or to the back side behind front tire? I want to thank you for posting your fix to this forum as I searched over a week with no luck on a successful fix without a lift or access on a 2010 HHR
Mine started to drain water throughout the blower motor, if I make a turn you can hear the water flowing between the driver and passenger side, and the blower motor makes a sound. I would hate to think it might need replacing, wouldn't know where to get the metal ring to replace the cutout area.
Looking forward to your response!
Thanks again, you Rock! 👍😎
Old May 14th, 2021, 7:08 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by EvansBlue
Welcome to the forum, my fellow North Carolinian!

The drain should come out behind the front right tire. You should see a small rubber tube exiting from the lower part of the firewall. I have found that if you blast compressed air up the tube, that it will most of the time break up the clog and it will wash on down. If that doesn't work, you can back flush it with water carefully.
what’s the procedure to backflush it?? I have a stubborn clog compressed air is not working