Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   HHR (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/hhr-51/)
-   -   Evaporator drain (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/hhr-51/evaporator-drain-25392/)

HHR-Durham August 23rd, 2009 8:59 AM

Evaporator drain

I can hear water sloshing around behind the dashboard. Does anyone know where the air conditioner evaporator drain is on the 2008 HHR and how to clear it?

EvansBlue August 23rd, 2009 11:31 AM

Welcome to the forum, my fellow North Carolinian!

The drain should come out behind the front right tire. You should see a small rubber tube exiting from the lower part of the firewall. I have found that if you blast compressed air up the tube, that it will most of the time break up the clog and it will wash on down. If that doesn't work, you can back flush it with water carefully.

Chevy Underwear April 17th, 2011 7:43 PM

Smelly A/C

Originally Posted by EvansBlue (Post 110173)
Welcome to the forum, my fellow North Carolinian!

The drain should come out behind the front right tire. You should see a small rubber tube exiting from the lower part of the firewall. I have found that if you blast compressed air up the tube, that it will most of the time break up the clog and it will wash on down. If that doesn't work, you can back flush it with water carefully.

EvansBlue - I looked for the hose but did not find it. I have the same problem with the water sloshing around and a smelly A/C. Any thoughts?

Chevy Underwear April 17th, 2011 7:44 PM

EvansBlue - I looked for the hose but did not find it. I have the same problem with the water sloshing around and a smelly A/C. Any thoughts?

Chevrolet Customer Service April 19th, 2011 11:40 AM

Chevy Underwear, have you tried speaking to a tech at your dealership to see if they might be able to assist in pointing you in the right direction for this drain tube? They should be able to remedy this issue for you as well if you would like. I hope that helps and if you do decide to speak with a dealership please keep us up to date on what they have to say.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service

Vince435 May 28th, 2011 1:52 PM

location of ac condencer drain tube on 2008 chev silverado

daddy2isaiah04 August 1st, 2011 9:42 PM

I believe that sloshing sound you hear from behind the dash is air that has gotten into your cooling system. It is quite common on the HHR. Check some other HHR forums and you should find your answer.

ststorm July 17th, 2012 2:22 PM

Originally Posted by HHR-Durham (Post 110154)
I can hear water sloshing around behind the dashboard. Does anyone know where the air conditioner evaporator drain is on the 2008 HHR and how to clear it?

I can't find this evaporator drain. Does anyone have a diagram or a sketch?
My fan stopped working now. I'm afraid it shorted out now from the water in there.
Anyone have directions for replacing the blower fan \ motor?

nasonlives June 2nd, 2014 6:01 PM

HHR water built up in condensor drain

My 2010 HHr has gone through several stages. We could hear the water sloshing around and it would drain out (very cold) on the driver's feet and drench the carpet on the passenger's side. Later, it stated spitting out water from the air outlet. I took a wet/dry vac to what I believe is the drain on the firewall (I was unable to find a drain "hose") I sucked out easily a gallon by doing that which cured the problem for a while. On an extended trip (Oklahoma to Maine and back) we got a new phenomenon. A fine smokey mist being blown out of the air vents. We didn't do anything more to it and the draining inside started again. Recently the blower motor has stopped working at any speed. I'm assuming the water was too much of a load for it and the resistor burned out. Before I replace the $40 resistor, available at O'Reilly's, I want to see if I can get the drain cleared. Any advice? Weed trimmer line sounds like a good idea but the guy in one of these threads who tried that had no success. I am fiding that the drain for the condenser is somehow tied to the drain from the windshield; when it rains, it pours. This car has potential but this nightmare has no end.

nasonlives June 6th, 2014 8:22 PM

I searched "clogged evaporator drain" on you tube and came up with an inspiration that worked in seconds. The guy in the video used compressed air to blow out the clog. I decided I'd try my shop vac in 'blow' mode to do the same thing. M drain has no hose, just a plastic fitting that extends fro the firewall.I any event, it drained for several seconds and I blew again to be sure there wasn't another clog. There wasn't. Next task is to find and replace the a/c blower motor resistor to get the motor working again. Before I tear apart too much of the stuff under my glove box unnecessarily, does anyone know where this resistor is located on a 2010 Chevy HHR?