HHR This retro crossover vehicle combines the usefulness of a minivan with the size of a mid sized car.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out ChevyHHR.net

fuel pump replacement in chevy HHR

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2018, 12:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fuel pump replacement in chevy HHR

I'm pretty sure my fuel pump is on its way out. I have a 2009 chevy HHR with 107,000 miles on it and still original fuel pump. However, been noticing a grinding type noise in fuel pump when i turn the key on and also once or twice a month i have hard starting. It turns over but very hesitant like. No other problems with car, no code lights, etc. Garage was looking for an exhaust leak a few weeks ago and he also said my fuel pump was very noisy and shouldn't be. We are headed to airport next month flying to Orlando on a long planned vacation with our family and i have visions of this thing crapping out on me right before we leave. I want to fix it NOW. Has anyone gotten any fuel pumps from rockauto parts? They seem very cheap compared to something you'd get at auto zone or advance auto. ARe these pumps any good? Can anyone tell me what pumps they've had good results with and which ones they didn't? I would appreciate it very much.
Old April 3rd, 2018, 7:29 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

Buy Delco or Delphi pumps. The cheap ones are not worth the trouble and usually fail within a year.
Old April 4th, 2018, 4:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got the pump. next debate is whether to drop the tank or cut an access panel. pulled the seat up and GM has a cross beam support going right across the floor where i would need to cut the access panel. you can even see a raised out impression on the floor where the fuel pump is located. The better part of me is telling me NOT to cut through that bracing even thought it looks like it does not support the weight of the back seat. But regardless, it's there for a reason. So dropping the tank doesn't look to difficult on this car. Already looked underneath. Four main bolts to the straps and disconnect all the lines. Is the tank very heavy after you drain all the gas? Can i lift it up and down without any kind of jack? I do have a jack but it might just be easier to lay it on my chest and muscle it in and out of place. I only have wheel ramps so hoping i have enough clearance on the ground to get the tank out. Any thoughts??