Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   HHR (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/hhr-51/)
-   -   Key Fob issues (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/hhr-51/key-fob-issues-85498/)

Tim Edington September 12th, 2017 3:22 PM

Key Fob issues

I have a 2008 HHR . It's has a few issue that are all electronic/computer related . One week to the day the the MFG warranty expired the power steering would periodically stop working (usually when it was very hot outside) . Took it to the dealership who told me the power steering unit needed to be replaced for $800 plus labor....no thanks, I decided to just live with it. Drove it like that for almost 2 years and then one day it just stopped happening. Hasn't gone out even once in the last 4 years. Since "broken" parts dont just repair themselves i know this was an electronics/programming issue. A few months ago the key fob stopped working. Remote start, remote lock/unlock etc. Took to a locksmith who provided a replacement when my wife lost her keys but this time they were unable to program a new FOB because they couldnt communicate with the car. Told me i would need to take to dealership and have the ECM flashed. It's almost 10 years old, so i don't won't to give the dealer $380 just for remote features but after months of using a key to manually unlock the car the flimsy lock cylinder is starting to fail and sometimes just spins freely when i insert my key. Anyone have alternate suggestions on getting the car to communicate with programming software???
Thanks

simonjones July 23rd, 2018 1:20 AM

Why don't you hire the same locksmith for help ?

Tim Edington July 23rd, 2018 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by simonjones (Post 359950)
Why don't you hire the same locksmith for help ?

because the locksmith couldnt fix it and referred me to the dealership

samuelgrace October 8th, 2018 8:55 AM

Thanks tim , i wouldn't prefer locksmith for key fob issue.

raymond11 October 10th, 2018 7:40 AM

Call the locksmith nearby and it will cost not more than $73. Don't spend $380 on dealership.

marthacarl October 24th, 2018 2:12 AM

$380 is more than enough for the remotes. Dealers price are far high so first consider taking help from locksmith if they won't be able to help then go for dealer. Like i prefer always locksmith new york for key duplication or getting the fobs.

edwardd11 November 5th, 2018 8:01 AM

This once happened to my friend and the same locksmith was not there then he took help from locksmith stamford ct , they also worked well with it. So hiring the other locksmith is also not a bad idea at all.

Ralph Madison November 28th, 2018 10:48 AM

Locksmith Queens can efficiently handle changing of ignition; replacing of locks in your car door or trunk; extraction of broken keys; re-keying of lost keys; replacing car key transponder and repair; replacing car key fob, repair, and reprogramming; remote key services like replacement, repair and program. For immediate response and help, Queens Auto Locksmiths is your best option for a quick, professional and affordable locksmiths services.

Adam Lyth December 19th, 2018 1:53 AM

Car key remote fobs are a nice convenience to have, but they all stop working eventually. Even if it's just a dead battery, you can pretty much guarantee that your car doors will fail to unlock with the remote at one time or another.Some cars have push-button ignitions that only operate when the key fob is close by. These vehicles still usually have a physical key for locking and unlocking the doors, but it may be hidden. The key fob will often have a hidden key inside, so if you don't have a physical key for your vehicle, then check the fob for a release button or switch.

AllfordWard January 29th, 2019 2:25 AM

The best alternate for me is to find a locksmith in brooklyn and get the job done. As it will cost less and everything will be done in efficient manner.