HHR This retro crossover vehicle combines the usefulness of a minivan with the size of a mid sized car.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out ChevyHHR.net

NO Crank No Start on 2008 HHR with 2.2 liter engine.

Search this Thread

Old October 17th, 2017, 7:47 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NO Crank No Start on 2008 HHR with 2.2 liter engine.

Just jumping on here to ask if there is a inline fuse in the cranking system for a HHR. Recently finished removing and replacing a 2.2 liter 4 cylinder in an 08 HHR and have a no crank situation. The fuel pump turns on and pressurizes the rail but the solenoid does not engage or turn the starter motor over. All the connections are clean and dry including the grounds to the starter. Prior to installing the starter a bench test was done to verify that both the solenoid and motor are good. When turning on the key and putting in the start position, the relay for the fuel pump chatters while there is no other sounds. No click from the solenoid and the battery has a full charge. I know that there is a theft deterrent for the system too.

If anyone on here has run into this type situation and found a cure please respond and provide some insight. I have printed out both a wiring schematic and illustrations that show wiring hookups. From what I can see all the wires for the engine and starter are properly routed and in place as they should be. Appreciate your views.
Old October 17th, 2017, 8:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

is the starter relay engaging? check it at the underhood fuse box
check the state of the park neutral position switch and or clutch pedal position switch if std trans
with a scan tool check for theft deterrent dtc...full function scan tool required.
Old October 28th, 2017, 2:50 PM
CF Active Member

Don't have a full function scan tool. Do have one that will read codes. Last time I was able to get a code the scanner showed that there is no communication between PCM/BDM. Have checked for shorts and know that there is one. Just haven't been able to nail it down. Checked by pulling every fuse, relay, and diode in the fuse box under hood and behind kick panel inside. Make things worse, now there is no power at the ALDL (DLC) so I am checking wiring schematic to see how to get power back to the link hookup. And, I have checked the fuse for the circuit that the ALDL piggybacks it's hot lead from. If there is a Communications Network Module I haven't been able to locate it. Every connections I have had access have been cleaned and dried.. Have looked at the wiring schematics for the HHR and only found one fusible link in the start/charging system. So, if there is another one, I have yet to locate it.
Old October 29th, 2017, 9:18 AM
Super Moderator

if the aldl or dlc has no power...check the cig fuse...this circuit powers the dlc and 12v outlet sockets. if this fuse is blown the scan tool will not communicate with the vehicle. but it won't cause a not start
Old November 10th, 2017, 10:30 PM
CF Active Member

Checked the fuse for the cigarette lighter and auxiliary power outlet. It was good. So, pulled face of dashboard console off and checked connection to the lighter. It was good. But, after pulling the console face the DLC had power. However, the scan tool can not establish a link with the system. It would simply show that there a connection can not be established with link error. Scan tool would say to turn off ignition for 10 seconds and try again. Also, when ignition was turned to the on position, the fuel pump would run continuously rather than shut off after the system was pressurized. Fuel system relay would be clicking on and off the entire time.
Old November 12th, 2017, 9:22 AM
Super Moderator

if you have power on pin 16 and grd at pins 4 and 5 of the dlc (google dlc images)...and the scan tool won't communicate...
-try another scan tool
-with a full function scan tool...see if any of the modules will communicate..check for communication codes from any modules that do communicate.
-if its just one module down...check power and grd to that module.
-disconnect the battery and check termination resistance of the bus circuit at the dlc connector (check service info for pins) you should have approx 60ohms. if you have 120ohms...a CAN line is open.
Old November 16th, 2017, 4:33 PM
CF Active Member

Tech2, I just finished doing the test for the CAN line at the DLC. Did the test 3 times to make sure I had the right reading. Came out at 60 ohms on each occasion. There is one thing I hadn't taken into consideration because I had not noticed earlier, and that happens to be that the fuel gauge shows as empty. I know the car was low on fuel when I did the engine swap. But, on several attempts to crank the engine, the fuel pump relay would click rapidly while the fuel pump would run constantly ( around a minute) and then shut off. The car front end is still up on jack stands so what fuel is in the tank is probably not centered under the pickup tube for the fuel pump. Still got good pressure in the fuel rail though. I have to wonder if it has anything to do with the no crank condition. One thing I did do was attach a ground wire to the TCM and grounded it at the top of the shock tower. After I did that, I was able to get a link up to my scanner. It shows a 0100 code indicating no communication with the PCM. Wish I had a GM Tech 2 scanner to better analyze the problem. Do have a new/refurbished PCM on the way as that is what I felt was the problem. But, sure would feel better if I knew exactly why I got a no crank situation.
Old December 9th, 2017, 10:49 PM
CF Active Member

Just as a follow up on my situation for a no crank condition, after installing the refurbished ECM and doing a relearn of the Theft Deterrent Module the engine cranked over and I have been able to start it up. That in itself was a great relief, but, I am not yet able to celebrate. Now, I have another problem. I am able to start the engine and it runs fine. But, now I am not able to get the car to come out of Park. Along with that problem, when I connect my OBDII reader it powers up and starts the process of looking for codes. But, it won't link up with the modules and shows Link Error. To add to the problem, the Theft Deterrent Icon lights up but the car will start up again after turning it off. It does have to turn over about 6 or 7 rotations before it does run.