Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

'06 Key Fob problem

Search this Thread

Old November 2nd, 2008, 7:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 Key Fob problem

Hi everyone new guy here.

I have a 2006 Impala, both key fobs stopped working. I changed the batteries didn't help. I followed the steps in the book for the "relearn" but it would not enter the "relearn" process. Checked all the fuses,all the locks still work with the inside switches.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jackmo
Old November 3rd, 2008, 11:59 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: '06 Key Fob problem

it sounds like a problem with the remote keyless module.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 1:07 PM
CF Beginner

If you are talking about the module in the car do you know where it would be located??

Thanks,
Jackmo
Old November 3rd, 2008, 7:36 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

On the upper center of the I/P, under the defroster grill panel

Old November 3rd, 2008, 9:20 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you Shawnvw.

Jackmo
Old November 4th, 2008, 10:58 AM
CF Beginner

shawnvw,

I see you are a certified tech. do you have any suggestions as to what the problem might be? Could this unit be tied into the ON Star or Lojack systems? I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Jackmo
Old November 4th, 2008, 6:20 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If they both stopped working at the same time, I would agree with rbarrios that its probably the reciever. You could try cycling power to it by pulling the fuse or re&re-ing the connector.
The unit is tied into all systems in the car via data lines. The onstar is able to talk to the module through data when you lock your keys in the car.
Any LoJack system that you have installed in the car would be an aftermarket module that would not tie into the doorlock reciever.
Old November 5th, 2008, 12:51 PM
CF Beginner

Well I removed every fuse I could find for all the accessories, On Star, door locks , windows.
It must have re-set the module as suggested now both fob's work fine!!

Thanks for all the replies.

Jackmo
Old February 13th, 2009, 3:50 PM
CF Beginner

I have an 06 Impala and both Key fobs stopped working. I went to the dealership and they got a new one out of stock and said it works so it is not the module according to them. At $109 a piece I passed on a new one. I chnged the batteries but no go. I beileve it is a faulty fob as it seems that they no longer transmit. I took them to an autoparts store and tested at one of those kiosks and there is no signal coming from the fobs. Any other suggestions as I am in the same boat.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 10:27 PM
CF Beginner

You should see if the key fob is emitting a signal. any gm dealer will be able to tell you if it is or not. They use a small sensing device that will beep if the sense a signal coming from your Key fob. Make sure you tell them to check ALL the buttons. We have found with a lot of these remotes that the buttons are worn on the inside. So if some buttons work and others don't. then you know there is a button problem with your remote. If no signal from all the buttons and you know the battery is good and installed properly, then your key fob is no good. If all buttons send a signal then there is something wrong with the reciever. Any GM dealer will check your remote for free (hoping that it is bad and they can sell you a new remote and programming for $150). you will be able to listen for the beeps as well as the service guy pushes the buttons. If only some buttons don't work, then its pretty easy to fix using a keylessfix button pad. Hope that helps you narrow down the problem.