Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Impala (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/impala-14/)
-   -   2005 chevy impala stutters, wants to turn off while stopped at light. FUEL PROBLEM (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/impala-14/2005-chevy-impala-stutters-wants-turn-off-while-stopped-light-fuel-problem-43398/)

Jayceon Durbill June 22nd, 2011 11:51 PM

2005 chevy impala stutters, wants to turn off while stopped at light. FUEL PROBLEM

Hey guys. I'm in such a stressful situation. Recently. I filled up my 2005 chevy impala. I drove it to my mother in laws (normal Sunday) and the damm thing starts stuttering and shaking like hell and it actually stalled on the road 2 times. I've gotten 3 different mechanics and 1 shop to look at it. To start off it

******THIS PROBLEM ONLY OCCURS WHILE MY FOOT IS ON THE BRAKE STOPPED AT A STOPLIGHT OR STOP SIGN******

Has 88,000 miles
It's a 2005
1st mechanic said automatically it was the fuel pump

2nd mechanic changed:
All Spark plugs
New air filter
New wiring
New alternator
Took out my aftermarket alarm thinking that was it... Nothing

Doesn't stall but still stutters and feels like it wants to stall...

3rd mechanic / shop
Said it's a fuel problem
Says fuel pump and filter is fine
Changed my fuel sensor?
And flushed something to do with my throttle? Perhaps throttle fluid

He then told me tonight when I picked it up to test it overnight. Tested it and on the way home, drove well, I was very happy. Went to dinner and sure enough stuttering again smh.

Anybody have any idea what I got left to check or any imput on what it could be please? I spent well over 1,000 and it just doesn't seem like it's getting better smh. I'm very concerned. Thanks

MyBowTieGuy July 5th, 2011 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jayceon Durbill (Post 184798)
Doesn't stall but still stutters and feels like it wants to stall...

3rd mechanic / shop
Said it's a fuel problem
Says fuel pump and filter is fine
Changed my fuel sensor?
And flushed something to do with my throttle? Perhaps throttle fluid

He then told me tonight when I picked it up to test it overnight. Tested it and on the way home, drove well, I was very happy. Went to dinner and sure enough stuttering again smh.

Anybody have any idea what I got left to check or any imput on what it could be please? I spent well over 1,000 and it just doesn't seem like it's getting better smh. I'm very concerned. Thanks

Jayceon,

Do you have a receipt or invoice for the work performed by the third mechanic? It's imperative that they changed your fuel sensor with an OEM unit (I believe that it's an A/C Delco unit and runs $50 at gmpartsgiant.com). Verify this with the third mechanic that worked on your car and if they happened to change the sensor then my hypothesis is that the EGR valve on your car could be bad. Inspect the EGR valve and replace if necessary.

Finally, have you considered the possibility that your Idle Air Control Valve is dirty or faulty? A dirty or faulty IACV could cause stumbling and stalling on vehicles..

GM Fixer July 10th, 2011 7:47 PM

Mean while... Have you checked the gasoline? could be the gas is watered down. Kind of suspicious when you just filled with gas, and nowthere is a problem.

slowhand July 14th, 2011 9:17 AM

I have an 08 lt 3.5 and I have had it in the shop 3 times for the same issues you are having. Each time the wrench said it was the plugs. after 3 sets of plugs, it is getting kinda costly. The next time it happens, I am going to have them do it. At least I will have a warranty for the plugs for 12 months. My car only has 35k on it. Anyone have any other comments/answers for this mystery?

GM Fixer July 15th, 2011 10:07 AM

Then I would go with the eacv get it good and clean. I beleive if it was the EGR.. then you should get a code for it BUT!!! it doesn't hurt to look at it!

QueenB_ April 21st, 2014 12:20 PM

same problem

I'm having the same problem, every stop I make it turns off automatically. I had someone check it and they told me it was my oil pump because my oil wasn't going through so it was clogged and drying up and that's why my sensor is turning off my car so my engine doesn't lock up. So today I will be changing my oil, oil gasket, and oil pump. I will let you know if that works:)

QueenB_ April 25th, 2014 7:34 PM

Did not work :(

it did not work :( its still turning off so now people are telling me it could be a loose wire

sledge.impy April 25th, 2014 8:52 PM

Originally Posted by QueenB_ (Post 274692)
it did not work :( its still turning off so now people are telling me it could be a loose wire

Do you have a TCC Solenoid on the transmission??

Can you find that and unplug it? Just don't let it move to far or tie it up some where if it does want to move around.

Frank3 April 25th, 2014 9:11 PM

If the problem only occurs with the foot on the brake, could it be possible the vacuum brake booster (power brakes) is bad? I have seen happen this only twice. I've also had the fuel pressure regulator cause similar problems - hard starting, stumbling on acceleration and stalling. When the fuel pressure regulator went bad on my pontiac, it would stall at the worst time. One time we were almost killed when it stalled in front of a logging truck. The dealer had just told us they could not find the problem. When we went back, thay asked can't you live with it? I replied no we almost died with it. With my 2001 Impala,I was experiencing poor performance and hesitation. The fuel pressure regulator on the 3.8 it had was located right on the fuel rail.

sledge.impy April 25th, 2014 9:19 PM

Originally Posted by Frank3 (Post 274701)
If the problem only occurs with the foot on the brake, could it be possible the vacuum brake booster (power brakes) is bad? I have seen happen this only twice. I've also had the fuel pressure regulator cause similar problems - hard starting, stumbling on acceleration and stalling. When the fuel pressure regulator went bad on my pontiac, it would stall at the worst time. One time we were almost killed when it stalled in front of a logging truck. The dealer had just told us they could not find the problem. When we went back, thay asked can't you live with it? I replied no we almost died with it. With my 2001 Impala,I was experiencing poor performance and hesitation. The fuel pressure regulator on the 3.8 it had was located right on the fuel rail.

I wonder if she held in the brake pedal when it turns off (or shut off ignition), if it bleeds down to the floor, or remains in position.