Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Impala (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/impala-14/)
-   -   2014 Impala assist handles (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/impala-14/2014-impala-assist-handles-60930/)

dmahillen October 2nd, 2013 4:26 PM

2014 Impala assist handles

Has anyone notice the location of the passenger assist handles in the rear seat. One cannot use them to install a clothes-rod hanger, to hang clothes on when traveling. The handles are so close to the front seat, that if you hung clothes on a clothes rod, the clothes would be hanging over the front seat?
A design flaw??

vakmere November 8th, 2013 10:07 AM

Passenger assist handles are just that. The car was not designed to be a clothes closet.
You can have hanger hooks installed if you can find a clever detail shop to do it.

dmahillen November 9th, 2013 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by vakmere (Post 260751)
Passenger assist handles are just that. The car was not designed to be a clothes closet.
You can have hanger hooks installed if you can find a clever detail shop to do it.

Wow!! Didn't know I'd get flamed with a simple question. I conversed with Chevrolet Customer Service, and got this courteous reply:

"We value your opinions and we always consider them as we plan for the future. We have noted your comments under Service Request 71-1228889549 and will be available for review. "

Now, vakmere, please explain what those hooks in the rear assist handles are for? ;)

Kluz June 3rd, 2015 9:16 PM

Hanging Clothes in New Impala

I completely agree with dmahillen. It came as quite a surprise as we prepared for our trip tomorrow to find out that I would not be able to hang clothes in my new full size sedan. How could something so traditional be overlooked? Why include the hooks in the handles knowing they could not be used? I thought, am I missing something here in these new cars, so I walked to the other side of our garage to look in the back of my wife's Hyundai and there they were just as they should be. This issue presents a significant inconvenience.

sledge.impy June 3rd, 2015 9:45 PM

Originally Posted by Kluz (Post 303106)
I completely agree with dmahillen. It came as quite a surprise as we prepared for our trip tomorrow to find out that I would not be able to hang clothes in my new full size sedan. How could something so traditional be overlooked? Why include the hooks in the handles knowing they could not be used? I thought, am I missing something here in these new cars, so I walked to the other side of our garage to look in the back of my wife's Hyundai and there they were just as they should be. This issue presents a significant inconvenience.

I commend you for finding this post and replying to it...

I must say I haven't even bothered to look to hang anything as the car is so huge...

dmahillen June 4th, 2015 10:01 AM

Good to see someone agrees with my post! I have swapped the assist handles from side to side, and that moved the clothes hook back about 3 inches. I still use a clothes rod that hangs in the assist handles, as the clothes hooks aren't very strong when using a clothes rod.