Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Impala (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/impala-14/)
-   -   Advice needed (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/impala-14/advice-needed-70914/)

Rascal February 12th, 2015 9:44 PM

Advice needed

Hello all. I'm new to this forum. I bought a used 2004 Impala yesterday it has some strange quirks that I am not sure of what's wrong.
First of all: My wipers only work on high speed, the won't close down to the hood by themselves and intermittent doesn't work.
Also: My high beam (off same lever) doesn't engage.

Signals and cruise work fine.

Last: I have mixed opinions regarding the fluid to put in my Auto trans. I'm taking it in to have a new filter and gasket put in and want to put the best fluid in. One guys suggested Dextron VI. My manual says Dextron III

Thanks in advance

sledge.impy February 13th, 2015 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Rascal (Post 295343)

Last: I have mixed opinions regarding the fluid to put in my Auto trans. I'm taking it in to have a new filter and gasket put in and want to put the best fluid in. One guys suggested Dextron VI. My manual says Dextron III

Thanks in advance

You don't say how many miles you have ?.. and what color is the fluid currently? red? brown? black? black sludge?

It's not a Transformer :eek: , so it's not DexTron.. it's Dexron.

Google dexron 3 vs 6... and form your own opinions.

The later fluids supersede the previous fluids... Remember Dexron IIe?!

I just read a saturn thread were people weren't cool with anything other than 3.

itswrongway February 13th, 2015 2:11 PM

advice

my advice is to use the new dexron VI fluid and don't forget a new filter. As for the wiper problem when wipers don't go down on the rest stops when turned off it generally means the trouble is in the motor itself but I think you should test the switched first because of the other problem you mentioned with the lights.

Rascal February 14th, 2015 8:00 PM

Thank you for the replies. First of all vehicle has 242,000kms on it. Fluid is a reddish brown and smells 'off'. I don't know how else to explain it. I'm assuming it's never been changed. My mechanic will know when he works on it.
I did buy a new filter and gasket. I may get him to drain it, run it and drain it again and put fresh stuff in. He doesn't have a way to flush the system.
Dealer said DEXRON III is fine for it so that's what I bought.

Rascal February 19th, 2015 10:39 PM

Okay so fresh trans. filter & fluid. New cat.conv. which turned out to be plugged. Cracked PCV line replaced. Now trans makes an awful loud banging sound. What could cause this. I should mention too that the trans was fine after fluid change and before the cat.conv. was changed. Any idea what would cause the horribly banging sound in tranny at upshifting??

sledge.impy February 20th, 2015 9:04 AM

Broken trans mount?

Danny's Chevy February 26th, 2015 2:35 PM

Sounds like either you have a bad turn signal switch (better knwon as multifunction switch ) or you have an ex police car.

I had an ex police car.

I had the problem with wipers and hi beams. i solved my highbeam wires (see below) my wipers were fine until i almost swapped out body control modules, but decided nto to.. anyway i didn't plug the wiper connector in all the way.. once i plugged the wiper plug all the way into the body control module, they started working properly again. so yours might be slightly unplugged?

I ended up installing a relay (negative setup) and run a wire to the highbeams
from the switch. (get a diagram, find the wire colors for hi beam and temp hi beam) test those wires to see if the switch is working. if it is working run those wires to your relay.

Rascal February 28th, 2015 10:22 PM

Thanks for all the information. Turns out I did have the multifunction lever/switch replaced. I got one from a wrecker. Also replaced the wiper motor and wiper transmission. Now, I have to have the transmission checked. It bangs into gear when it's warmed up . I think i bought a lemon. lol

sledge.impy February 28th, 2015 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Rascal (Post 296518)
Thanks for all the information. Turns out I did have the multifunction lever/switch replaced. I got one from a wrecker. Also replaced the wiper motor and wiper transmission. Now, I have to have the transmission checked. It bangs into gear when it's warmed up . I think i bought a lemon. lol

You should check out this thread:

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/imp...-issues-59309/

Rascal February 28th, 2015 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by sledge.impy (Post 296520)

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT MINE IS DOING!!!! Thank you!!! I won't do any of this myself but I'll call the driveline place after the weekend. I've dealt with them before and they are super!! Thank you so much!!