Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Can SomeOne Please Tell Me if this is Common REBUILDING 2005 3.8L IMPALA FROM MISFIRE

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2016, 9:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can SomeOne Please Tell Me if this is Common REBUILDING 2005 3.8L IMPALA FROM MISFIRE

I'm still in the Process of Rebuilding My 3800 Impala Engine After having persistent Cyl 5 Misfire, A little history: I Replaced everything relating to the Cyl 5, But to no avail. So when I opened it up, I found Oil on top of the Lower intake Manifold, Seems a common issue with these engines. My Throttle Body To Upper Intake Manifold gasket Looks Warped from the EGR tube Heat (which I suspected is where the coolant Was getting to the Oil from)
My Rockers and Push-Rods have play in them, (the Rocker Arms Slide from side to side, even tho its not very much, But it worries Me, Also, I can Spin Around the Push-Rods with ease especially Cyl #5 Push-Rods), I haven't gotten to the Rear bank Yet, But I'm guessing it'll be the same scenario back there.
I though of Just replacing the Lifters and corresponding Push-Rods that had play in them (as a cheap fix), but I figured that won't be a good idea.

So My question(s) is, are the play that I'm having in those Rockers and Push-Robs a common thing to see in these engines?
If not : (1) what would be a good way to diagnose what My problem is while I have the engine Open?
(2) What extra step/check can I do while I'm inside the engine to See what else I need to perform a good fix? Is it worth it dropping the Oil Pan and Checking the Bearing for any Play too?
And (3) If I don't need anything else, Will Just Replacing ALL Of the Push-Rods and Lifters Fix This Issue For Me?

Thanks.

Link to Youtube Video And Symptoms History :
Play in Rocker Arm Video -
Misfire Video :
knocking Video :
Attached Thumbnails Can SomeOne Please Tell Me if this is Common REBUILDING 2005 3.8L IMPALA FROM MISFIRE-lim-oil-leak-2016-09-15-13h45m50s109.png   Can SomeOne Please Tell Me if this is Common REBUILDING 2005 3.8L IMPALA FROM MISFIRE-lim-oil-leak-2016-09-15-13h49m04s856.png   Can SomeOne Please Tell Me if this is Common REBUILDING 2005 3.8L IMPALA FROM MISFIRE-lim-oil-leak-2016-09-15-13h44m42s915.png   Can SomeOne Please Tell Me if this is Common REBUILDING 2005 3.8L IMPALA FROM MISFIRE-lim-oil-leak-2016-09-15-13h45m03s879.png   Can SomeOne Please Tell Me if this is Common REBUILDING 2005 3.8L IMPALA FROM MISFIRE-lim-oil-leak-2016-09-15-13h52m49s966.png  

Can SomeOne Please Tell Me if this is Common REBUILDING 2005 3.8L IMPALA FROM MISFIRE-lim-oil-leak-2016-09-15-13h52m37s973.png   Can SomeOne Please Tell Me if this is Common REBUILDING 2005 3.8L IMPALA FROM MISFIRE-lim-oil-leak-2016-09-15-13h52m41s961.png   Can SomeOne Please Tell Me if this is Common REBUILDING 2005 3.8L IMPALA FROM MISFIRE-lim-oil-leak-2016-09-15-13h53m37s695.png   Can SomeOne Please Tell Me if this is Common REBUILDING 2005 3.8L IMPALA FROM MISFIRE-lim-oil-leak-2016-09-15-13h53m23s066.png  
Old September 16th, 2016, 3:15 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I'm thinking burnt valve. Fiber optics are getting really cheap. Get one of these, inspect through the plug hole.

General model PCS55 video optic<br/>
Old September 20th, 2016, 10:32 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you do a compression test or leak-down test before tearing it down?
Old June 21st, 2017, 3:11 PM
CF Beginner

Default Following Up, U/LIM Gaskets Installed, Car Still Won't Start...

I Tried That But I didn't succeed..
But, I'm trying to get help as to why the car will crank but not start? Just like it did before I started working on it.. Everything seems to be working right. Any suggestions?
Only thing I Can think of is the Oil Pressure Unit, I'm gonna Change that and See what Happens, But Please give Me advices.
Thanks.

Last edited by Impala-Ryder; June 21st, 2017 at 3:17 PM.
Old June 21st, 2017, 8:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

sorry did not read thru all that...the rockers have to be on the base of the cam when torqued.

all the rockers with movement....does it occur on every rocker that is on the base of the cam lobe and all the others that do not have spring tension on them from the lobe of the cam.
Old June 22nd, 2017, 7:28 AM
CF Beginner

Default Main Mission is to Get the Car Started.

Originally Posted by tech2
sorry did not read thru all that...the rockers have to be on the base of the cam when torqued.

all the rockers with movement....does it occur on every rocker that is on the base of the cam lobe and all the others that do not have spring tension on them from the lobe of the cam.
I didn't change the Lifter or any Valvetrain component, Yet. all I did was Just tighten Cyl 5 Rocker A tad bit and it seems right and tight again, No Longer Loose.
But, that's not My worry now, My main Interest and concern right now is to get the car started, even if the Misfire Returns. I have fuel and I Have spark, what Else am I Missing?

​​​​
Old June 23rd, 2017, 6:25 AM
CF Active Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I had a similar issue (crank but no start) when I replaced the head gaskets on my '05 3.4L Impala. There was one connector that I missed because it fell down behind the engine. Happened to look under the car and saw the connector hanging down. So, re-check that ALL the connectors are where they belong.
Old June 23rd, 2017, 6:38 PM
CF Beginner

Default I Was Wrong, The Real Issue is No Spark. That's why It Won't Start..

Originally Posted by a55bruce
I had a similar issue (crank but no start) when I replaced the head gaskets on my '05 3.4L Impala. There was one connector that I missed because it fell down behind the engine. Happened to look under the car and saw the connector hanging down. So, re-check that ALL the connectors are where they belong.
Oh, Yes, I Have Crawled Into Every nook and cranny of this car, Nothing seems out of place, I Made sure I reconnected every wire and plug where they belonged.
But, this Crank and No start Problem started even before I did the Upper and Lower Intake Gaskets. So Yesterday I did the ICM and Crankshaft Position Sensor Diagnosis with Multimeter, It came back as Faulty ICM and Crank, I didn't see 12 Volts on the ICM or 0-6Volts on The Crankshaft Position Sensor as the test suggested. So, I figured that's what was the cause of No spark. So, today I went and bought and installed brand new ICM and Crank Position Sensor and guess what? Wait For It, THERE WAS STILL NO SPARK!!! So at this point in Mad Pissed, Frustrated, Tired and Just about as irritated as I can be, I've been working on this car since Monday and out in the sun all day (although enjoyed the sun a little bit). I had someone crank the Engine while I had the Spark Plug wire coming from the Coil pack (Checked each Coil pack one at a time for spark,. NONE) in My hand, The Spark Plugs didn't even Fire for half a second. I even did the Screw driver style test and Grounded to the car Just to see if I get a spark, Still Nada. So, now I'm thinking My ICM and Crank Position Sensor are not bad after all, There must be another underlying Cause that is not showing itself. But, I Just gave up cos I don't know what else to do.

Last edited by Impala-Ryder; June 23rd, 2017 at 6:42 PM. Reason: Addition
Old June 23rd, 2017, 8:19 PM
CF Active Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Check for power on fuse "DFI MDL" with the key in the RUN posistion. If there's no power, check the ignition switch and relay "IGN RLY",
Is that fuse OK?
Old June 23rd, 2017, 9:07 PM
CF Beginner

Default What else could Cause A No Spark Situation.. ?

Originally Posted by a55bruce
Check for power on fuse "DFI MDL" with the key in the RUN posistion. If there's no power, check the ignition switch and relay "IGN RLY",
Is that fuse OK?
Thanks for the Response.
But, all the fuses and relay are fine, I Checked them again today. Besides what would Ignition Relay have to do with Spark? I thought that would be for the Ignition and Key, if IGN RLY is Faulty the car wouldn't even crank at all, Isn't it?
​​​​​​But, I won't over look anything anyway, I'll swap out that IGN RLY with another spare that I have and see if that'll do it.
But, I don't know what this "DFI MDL", I don't think I've seen any Fuse by that denotation, Keep in Mind that this is a 05' Impala Base with 3800 Engine.. Where would this DFI MDL Fuse be found?

Last edited by Impala-Ryder; June 23rd, 2017 at 9:10 PM.