Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Impala (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/impala-14/)
-   -   Engine troubles 350 (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/impala-14/engine-troubles-350-a-95463/)

Caprice65 May 12th, 2019 12:58 PM

Engine troubles 350

Hi,

so I got this impala 65 with the caprice package about a month ago, shipped from Florida to Sweden. Turns out its a 350 csb in it.

Anyway, Ive got a problem that I cant figure out myself. When I crank it, it starts right up, and dies about a second later. When I crank it and give it some gas, it starts up and revs and dies.

The carbs a rebuilt Holley 4160, no vacuum-leaks as far as I can tell.

Mallory distrubator.

Whats the next step to check?

Thx.

Rednucleus May 12th, 2019 1:34 PM

Try squirting a little gas in the carb after it starts - if it keeps running that suggests a primary fuel problem - like filter, fuel pump, or carb needs adjustment (floats?)
I assume it has not run in the month you have owned it?
BTW welcome to the forum - lots of good folks will help you here!

Caprice65 May 12th, 2019 1:47 PM

Originally Posted by Rednucleus (Post 427878)
Try squirting a little gas in the carb after it starts - if it keeps running that suggests a primary fuel problem - like filter, fuel pump, or carb needs adjustment (floats?)
I assume it has not run in the month you have owned it?
BTW welcome to the forum - lots of good folks will help you here!

I put the fuel hoze in an empty can, while cranking the engine and the pump worked well as far as I can tell. I adjusted the floats today.

Idk when it ran the last time, I bought it in december then its been sitting at the dock for almost two months. The owner said it ran well when I bought it.

Thanks man!

Caprice65 May 13th, 2019 12:18 PM

Turns out the ignition didnt work properly, the wire was kinda melted. Im going to replace it with a new one, the wiring diagram say its a resitance wire. Whats the purpose of it?

kevinkpk May 13th, 2019 3:44 PM

You probably have on your starter solenoid 3 terminals, large one is from the battery, other two are marked s, and r. S is from the switch, r is resistor circuit that goes to the elecetronic ignition. Back in the "olden days" with HEI the issue was burning out hei coils due to constant battery voltage to them. The resistor circuit is, and I'm not sure other than it breaks battery voltage down about 50%. When you initiate a start, full battery voltage is sent to the coil, key switch not in crank, run only the resistor side of the circuit is what powers the coil. I used to have a diagram of that, but you should be able to find it online.

kevinkpk May 13th, 2019 3:47 PM

FWIW, I suspect carb issue.If it was set for a period of time, you might need to re-kit it.

Caprice65 May 14th, 2019 1:19 AM

Originally Posted by kevinkpk (Post 427970)
You probably have on your starter solenoid 3 terminals, large one is from the battery, other two are marked s, and r. S is from the switch, r is resistor circuit that goes to the elecetronic ignition. Back in the "olden days" with HEI the issue was burning out hei coils due to constant battery voltage to them. The resistor circuit is, and I'm not sure other than it breaks battery voltage down about 50%. When you initiate a start, full battery voltage is sent to the coil, key switch not in crank, run only the resistor side of the circuit is what powers the coil. I used to have a diagram of that, but you should be able to find it online.

Only got two terminal; one from the battery and one for the ignition switch.

Whys the coil wired to the starter though? Couldnt I just buy the right resistor and wire it from the ignition key?

kevinkpk May 14th, 2019 6:54 AM

Coil gets full battery voltage during crank. My recommendation, trace both ends of the wire, remove both ends, check with an ohmeter, if there is a resistor in the circuit, it will show.

Caprice65 May 14th, 2019 7:12 AM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/chevrol...a3e21f3f9.jpeg
This is how they wired it. Shouldnt the wire from the starter solenoid to the coil be placed on the starter positive? And shouldnt the ignition key get an additional wire to the coil? The car runs fine when the coils wired to the battery.

Irish_alley May 14th, 2019 9:38 AM

i want to clear up my information, thought the "R" terminal was for the old points style ignition. thought it had something to do with the points needing 12v while cranking.