Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

Finally a cheap passlock fix!

Search this Thread

Old September 8th, 2013, 8:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey. Been there, done ALL of that with a 2001 Malibu (same problem). My final fix was a new, inexpensive (~$50) ignition switch bought off the internet (https://www.tnaautoparts.com/2001-ch...FehxOgodN00Aaw). Good luck
Old September 10th, 2013, 5:08 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by sidfromID
It is supposed to bypass the entire TDM not just the ignition. Site: newrockies.com
I registered just to reply. I recently bought the New Rockies Module, believing their hype. It does NOT replace the theft module. It only replaces the stuff up in the steering column. That is why you have to splice INTO the wiring, not into the wire harness end, which would be much easier. The theft module must remain in place.

It certainly must solve many problems, but so would a simple resistor soldered into the wiring.
Old September 18th, 2013, 11:57 AM
CF Beginner

I need some help. I have a 99 2.2L no power locks or windows. The theft light is illuminated solid. The started will not click or turn over. Fuel pump does kick on. Battery is charged, starter is good, starter relay is good, ignition switch is good. I have taken a 2.2k ohm resistor and placed between the yellow and black wires on the passlock system heading back to the BCM. I have tried to reset the theft system doing the 10 minute trick the light just stays on. Any help is appreciated.
Old September 20th, 2013, 7:56 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by slink138
I need some help. I have a 99 2.2L no power locks or windows. The theft light is illuminated solid. The started will not click or turn over. Fuel pump does kick on. Battery is charged, starter is good, starter relay is good, ignition switch is good. I have taken a 2.2k ohm resistor and placed between the yellow and black wires on the passlock system heading back to the BCM. I have tried to reset the theft system doing the 10 minute trick the light just stays on. Any help is appreciated.
You might want to check the connections at the BCM itself , make sure the resistance is the same at the plug .
Another thing is sometimes it takes the system more than once to relearn .
Try at least three times .
Old September 21st, 2013, 10:33 AM
CF Beginner

Talking

I'm in the same boat as a lot of others. I have a 98 Cavalier Ls, no power widows, power locks. I had the engine light come on for the cam and crankshaft sensors. I replaced both, started the car with no problems. Test drove it, shut it off. When I went to restart the car 30 sec to 1 min later, the car cranked slowly. Now my theft light is on solid, no crank condition. I tried all the reset procedures I found, still no crank and light is still on solid. I remember the old passkey system in the 90's(I was a GM tech then). I remember 15 or so codes for the keys. I'm kind of confused how all the bypass sites are showing a 2200ohm resistor as the repair. The three wires yellow, black, and white. If the resistor goes between the yellow and black, what is the white wire? Is it a 5v reference signal? Any help would be terrific.

Last edited by Longtimechevylover; September 21st, 2013 at 10:43 AM. Reason: forgot to ask one more question
Old March 10th, 2014, 9:30 AM
CF Beginner

i have an 02 impala and i am having the same problem. I changed the ignition lock cylinder and have tried the 10 min (3X) and the steady 30 min trick to reset the code but my car still will not start. any suggestions on what to do now? oh and by the way the security light is no longer on.
Old March 11th, 2014, 3:37 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Longtimechevylover
I'm in the same boat as a lot of others. I have a 98 Cavalier Ls, no power widows, power locks. I had the engine light come on for the cam and crankshaft sensors. I replaced both, started the car with no problems. Test drove it, shut it off. When I went to restart the car 30 sec to 1 min later, the car cranked slowly. Now my theft light is on solid, no crank condition. I tried all the reset procedures I found, still no crank and light is still on solid. I remember the old passkey system in the 90's(I was a GM tech then). I remember 15 or so codes for the keys. I'm kind of confused how all the bypass sites are showing a 2200ohm resistor as the repair. The three wires yellow, black, and white. If the resistor goes between the yellow and black, what is the white wire? Is it a 5v reference signal? Any help would be terrific.
On my 97 cavalier I just make a race car push start straight to the starter so I could start it from inside the car. It is the 2.2l with 5 speed manual. The light was on solid and I figured out that I could start the car and make it run by turning the key full cycle into start then getting out and crossing the starter terminals. Now I took a switch and a 12 volt push button and made my pannel. The cylinoid went to the off of my ignition switch to one side of the push button. Then the other side of the push button went to the on side of the switch. Now you have to put the other terminal witch is on the starter motor and put it on the on side of the switch aswell. Now I can cycle the key once or twice then flip the switch and push the button activating the starter it fools the system making it think the key started it and the car runs like it should till you shut it off again. You then will notice the security light back on and you restart it the same way and so far it has worked for me 100% of the time if it stops activating the starter then it will most likely be your push button being worn so you'll have to buy a new one. It is also a good idea to hook a red light to your ignition switch showing it is either on or off so you don't accidentally leave it on. Then put it in a hidden location such as near your pedals is where mine is so no one can find it easily if they get your keys then it's 100% upstart able without the key unless hot wired of course but still you would need the starting process in order for it to start and run. I really hope this helped out because it saved me $1200 for the dealer to fix it.
Old March 13th, 2014, 4:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK so yes it is just a 5volt reference wire. And as far as the resistor goes there are multiple codes between 880 ohms and 2.5k ohms which one you decide to use means nothing as long as it is between those values. Your car is preset at the factory to a specific code. However when you do the relearn procedure it will learn the code from the resistor you put in I do recomend soldering the connection so it never comes loose. One side to the black wire and the other goes to the bcm side of the r code wire yes you have to cut the r code wire. Then key on until the light shuts off usually around 10 minutes the turn the key off wait 5 seconds and start the car normally let run for at least 5-10 minutes to make sure the bcm learns the new code. The r code wire is usually yellow but I recomend ussing a multimeter to figure out which one is the r code and which is the 5volt reference any other questions give me a shout hope this helps

Originally Posted by Mrcool7303
On my 97 cavalier I just make a race car push start straight to the starter so I could start it from inside the car. It is the 2.2l with 5 speed manual. The light was on solid and I figured out that I could start the car and make it run by turning the key full cycle into start then getting out and crossing the starter terminals. Now I took a switch and a 12 volt push button and made my pannel. The cylinoid went to the off of my ignition switch to one side of the push button. Then the other side of the push button went to the on side of the switch. Now you have to put the other terminal witch is on the starter motor and put it on the on side of the switch aswell. Now I can cycle the key once or twice then flip the switch and push the button activating the starter it fools the system making it think the key started it and the car runs like it should till you shut it off again. You then will notice the security light back on and you restart it the same way and so far it has worked for me 100% of the time if it stops activating the starter then it will most likely be your push button being worn so you'll have to buy a new one. It is also a good idea to hook a red light to your ignition switch showing it is either on or off so you don't accidentally leave it on. Then put it in a hidden location such as near your pedals is where mine is so no one can find it easily if they get your keys then it's 100% upstart able without the key unless hot wired of course but still you would need the starting process in order for it to start and run. I really hope this helped out because it saved me $1200 for the dealer to fix it.
Old April 14th, 2014, 7:51 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mobileinstaller
ok i am finally back after a little hiatis but if anyone needs a diagram to bypass either vats or passlock 2 then send me a message with your email in it and i will be sure to email it as soon as possible thanks and sorry again guys
Can you send me the diagram? My car won't start after replacing the ignition lock cylinder on my 95 C1500 with one from a 98k1500 that has an extra wiring harness for three small wires coming out of the top. cmahlmann at gmail dot com
Old April 14th, 2014, 5:56 PM
CF Beginner

Default passlock sensor overload

Originally Posted by mobileinstaller
ok first off changing the ignition switch and tumblers will do absolutely nothing sorry if you have already done this. there are three main components to the passlock II system the passlock sensor, the BCM, and the Ecm and of course the wiring in between. Odds are if this keeps happening and there is no other problems such as door locks freaking out trunk release just goin off then it's not the bcm if you do the relearn feature and it works the it is also not the Ecm. so you are left with the 3 wires that run from the bcm to the passlock sensor.odds are the passlock sensor is bad. now there are two solutions either go to the dealer and have the sensor replaced or bypass the system for good. any respectable mobile electonics installer should be able to do this no problem it takes me about 20 mins and i personally charge 40 dollars to do so hope this helps also if you are mechanically inclined in electronics i can send a diagram on how to bypass it yourself hope this all helps
I need help to see if I can do this myself. single mom with no money. please help. Thank You

Quick Reply: Finally a cheap passlock fix!