Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

Finally a cheap passlock fix!

Search this Thread

Old December 5th, 2015, 8:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

help! I have replaced the key ignition in 99 chevy Malibu. Cannot get the relearn process to work. There is no security light on any more, but car still wont start.
Old December 9th, 2015, 12:20 PM
CF Beginner

Please stop replacing parts! this below is the fix for security issues were fuel is cut to the injectors.

If you have done the relearn and tried the resistor fix and the security light is still on and car/truck still won't start...This is the only no doubt fix...order the Newrockies.com complete bypass...it works!

1999 Chevy Suburban 5.7
1998 GMC 1500 5.7

Last edited by MrBillPro; December 11th, 2015 at 10:08 PM.
Old December 9th, 2015, 9:05 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by MrBillPro
Please stop replacing parts! this below is the fix for security issues were fuel is cut to the injectors.

If you have done the relearn and tried the resistor fix and the security light is still on and car/truck still won't start...This is the only no doubt fix...order the Newrockies.com complete bypass...it works!
First of all, your suggestion is still replacing parts.
Second of all, "only no doubt fix" is very wrong.

If it is the security issue there are only 2 parts to replace, the sensor and the BCM. The newrockies device is a bypass for the BCM which is why it works...sometimes! It doesn't take much research to find out that it is NOT a "no doubt fix". As for the "only" part of your statement, besides doing it the right way (2 previously mentioned parts) you can install a remote start or install a tune such as Overkill. At least by installing a tune you not only bypass the BCM like the newrockies magic box, but you also get a little more power.

So are you part of the 50% it worked for or do you work for newrockies?

Last edited by U.Nanimous; December 9th, 2015 at 9:53 PM. Reason: Forgot an option...
Old December 10th, 2015, 9:32 AM
CF Beginner

U.Nanimous, sorry seems like I hit a nerve, NO not any part of Newrockies... I'm in the A/C and Heating business in Houston for over 30 years. My opinion was based on personal experience and feedback from many forums and friends. I do a/c work for many auto shop owners, that have experienced the same type security issues, that come into their shops, they all suggest the Newrockies fix as the least expensive fix, as most folks have already spent hundreds of dollars on being parts changers. We can just agree to disagree on the only two parts that are need to be replaced to fix the issue, there are lots of other things that can simulate the no start issue you have with the security issues, just ask the millions of folks that have spent millions of dollars changing parts before they find the real issue.
Have a great day, unless you have other plans.

Could you please list the site/document that shows the information, that shows that only 50% of the time the Newrockies fix doesn't work.
Thanks!

Last edited by MrBillPro; December 10th, 2015 at 9:37 AM.
Old December 11th, 2015, 12:32 AM
CF Active Member

If you go to the newrockies website, amazingly it works 100% of the time! However, if you just read THIS THREAD you will see that is not the case, and I have also seen many failures on other forums, those "ask an expert" sites and in product reviews (sorry I didn't bookmark all the sites when I was doing my passlock research a few months ago). Speaking of reviews, some of those failures are a bit more memorable when they are cussing about not getting their "100% money back guarantee" honored. Hard to keep true stats of things you see on the internet, yes 50% is a guess but unless it was the same couple of people posting in multiple places there is a sizeable number of failures that can be found. Without knowing the number of units sold I honestly couldn't say the percentage of failures but it is certainly enough to nullify the statement "no doubt fix".

After re-reading my previous post, I'll admit I was a bit cranky (sick people at home...) when I wrote it so hitting a nerve was a little too easy. The thing is, this thread started with a straight up 100% misdiagnosis, and with that in mind it may be why the newrockies magic box has had failures - the problem wasn't passlock to start with. It is just the way you worded your post, which is what made me have to ask if you worked for them.
Old December 11th, 2015, 8:31 AM
CF Beginner

No problem Buddy, we all have bad days, I could write you a book on the bad days in life. I agree with you, a lot of the issues here probably were not dedicated security issues, I think we all agree that you still cannot believe everything we read on the internet. I do also give you credit, because I believe your right, if it's a dedicated security issue on the GM's affected, more than likely it's going to be the BCM or TDM or a no resistance or false resistance being transmitted from the key area, rather it be passlock I or II or passkey system.
Have a great day!
Mr. Bill
Old December 11th, 2015, 9:00 PM
CF Active Member

It is getting better, all the puking/diarrhea is over with. Just in time for our 60° weekend! Thankfully had more good days than bad, but you can imagine how many bad ones there has been seeing we have 6 kids.

To help others better, how about editing your first post to include a little more info about your car (year, engine, etc.)?
Old December 16th, 2015, 2:41 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2000 Chevy venture

Hello I hope you can help me
I bought this venture and lost keys so put in a new ignition switch.
Didn't know it had a passkey 3
So went to dealer had a new pk3 made and followed their instructions to relearn.
They said wait til security light went out it never has it alternates with the battery light I have tried three times to relearn and so far nothing. Is there anything else I can try on a budget?
Old December 16th, 2015, 7:16 PM
CF Beginner

[QUOTE=Victoria Petrie;313113]Hello I hope you can help me
So went to dealer had a new pk3 made and followed their instructions to relearn.
They said wait til security light went out it never has it alternates with the battery light I have tried three times to relearn and so far nothing. Is there anything else I can try on a budget?[/QUOTE

I probably would have took the negative cable off, then just turn the key for a second to the start position, then hooked the cable back up and start from that point.
Old December 16th, 2015, 9:32 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Victoria Petrie
Hello I hope you can help me
They said wait til security light went out it never has it alternates with the battery light I have tried three times to relearn and so far nothing. Is there anything else I can try on a budget?
I hear this all the time from noobs on the BMW forum, buy a car with only 1 key and either lock it in inside or just plain lose it and never had any intention of buying a spare. You however said "keys" so I assume you lost more than one? Are you my sister? She's 4 years older than me and lost everything growing up, specifically house keys and such, so I suffered from her failures and wasn't given some things until I was older than when she lost them.
Now this is where is gets confusing by so many people posting in THIS thread, as if this thread isn't complicated enough since it covers Impala's since the beginning of time, that you don't even have an Impala. There are differences not only between the generations of Impala's for this system but also between different car/van models. Unfortunately the Impala is said to be cursed with passlock, although many issues are probably misdiagnosed, so this is the thread everyone comes to.
So on to the point here, the simplest solution is to drag it to stealership and let them handle it with their little tech2 scanner, but they will probably charge you like $85. My 2000 Impala does not have anything in the key, you can actually get a copy made from any hardware store and may not even need to do the relearn. The relearn procedure however is: ON for ~10 minutes, OFF for 5 seconds (actually remove key), and repeat 2 more times for a total of 30 minutes so make sure your battery is fully charged. I don't know the relearn procedure for my 2005 Venture (which does have a chip in it) for lost keys, only the quick one for adding a key which is something like: start van with original key, shut off and within 10 seconds remove key and put new key in and turn to ON 3 times.
If your security light doesn't transition from flashing to steady or steady to off, I would try setting a timer for 12 minutes just to be sure your long enough and repeat 3 times and try starting the car. Not sure if it makes a difference but you could try it with leaving the key in or taking it out for those 5 seconds after each cycle - and don't forget to turn it OFF after the last cycle before trying to start it.

Originally Posted by Mr. BillPro
I probably would have took the negative cable off, then just turn the key for a second to the start position, then hooked the cable back up and start from that point.
Interesting idea, sounds so easy it might just work.
BTW, thanks for updating your other post! A truck man...I used to want a Suburban but I'm surprised how much of a truck my Venture is with all the things I've hauled in it, luckily I haven't had the need to tow yet.

Last edited by U.Nanimous; December 16th, 2015 at 9:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Finally a cheap passlock fix!