Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Impala (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/impala-14/)
-   -   Heater core and Blower Motor Replacement (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/impala-14/heater-core-blower-motor-replacement-46365/)

pinbill November 5th, 2011 9:12 PM

Heater core and Blower Motor Replacement

Hello-

I am finally attempting to fix the heater core and blower motor in my 70 Chevy Impala 4 dr 350 w/ac. I have the haynes manual but it is pretty vague. It says to take out the glove box and remove the heater core under the dash. It doesn't say anything about the blower motor. Does anyone have any tips on replacing the heater core and blower. I am hoping to get this done so I can sell the car.

Thanks,

Bill

kevinkpk November 6th, 2011 6:47 AM

You don't have to remove the blower motor. Do you have a core?

pinbill November 6th, 2011 9:29 AM

The blower motor makes a squealing noise, has for years, so I figured I would replace it. It was cheap. Found out is easy to get to under the fender. Still don't know too much about replacing the heater core. It started leaking water under the dash so I by passed it. I got the new one in the mail the other day, it is a Spectra Premium for cars w/AC. Any experience or tips would be greatly appreciated. The car is really nice, it used to be my baby. I have had it for 1/2 my life and I don't want to mess it up before I let it go to a new home.

Thanks,

Bill

69impalaconvharv December 22nd, 2014 7:19 PM

I have a 69 Impala convertible with a leaking heater core. I too bought a spectra premium heater core, but have not installed it due to the cold weather and vague information in the shop manual. I would like to know what is really involved and how long should it take to do the job. Does anyone have any input on this?

Thanks, 69ImpalaHarv

sledge.impy December 23rd, 2014 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by 69impalaconvharv (Post 291523)
I have a 69 Impala convertible with a leaking heater core. I too bought a spectra premium heater core, but have not installed it due to the cold weather and vague information in the shop manual. I would like to know what is really involved and how long should it take to do the job. Does anyone have any input on this?

Thanks, 69ImpalaHarv

haven't seen a 69 impala ..but i've done heater cores on 1987 cars and later.

you need to locate where the heater core goes into the car. there will be 2 hoses/lines that should go into the car near the firewall.. remove them.
on the inside of the car the heater core should be there (look at the part). remove trim/panels to access. unbolt. replace. rehook up lines in the engine area. refill and bleed cooling system.

a temporary fix as posted above, you can remove the hoses, and connect them together to prevent the leak inside, but this leaves you with no inside heat.