Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2013 Impala 3.6 Auto. Fun times with code P0442.

Search this Thread

Old October 9th, 2018, 12:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Impala 3.6 Auto. Fun times with code P0442.

Hey everyone, I’m fairly new here and was wondering if I could get some advice fixing this annoying code. it’s a small EVAP leak and I’m having a hell of a time finding the issue. I’ve swapped out the gas cap with an admittedly cheap replacement, cleared the code and had it pop back up a few days later. I don’t smell gas anywhere under the hood or by the filler neck. Car starts fine and except for my mileage being slightly worse there aren’t any obvious issues. Any help would be awesome, thanks.
Old October 9th, 2018, 1:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

a shop would install a evap smoke/leak tester, close the vent valve with a scan tool and fill the system with smoke. If the air flow meter drops below a calibrated value; no leak is present. if the flow meter stays high...a leak is present and they would search for the leak by trying to detect the smoke.
if you aren't having hard starts after fueling the purge valve is probably ok. vent valve are common faults...if I had to guess with no testing, I would throw a vent valve and then purge valve.
the best bet is to have it diagnosed...hard to do yourself without a $3000 scan tool and $1000 leak tester.