Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Impala (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/impala-14/)
-   -   Onstar backup battery replacement (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/impala-14/onstar-backup-battery-replacement-41163/)

twodogs47 March 19th, 2011 4:53 AM

Onstar backup battery replacement

Have a dead onstar backup battery and want to have it replaced. Anyone know where to purchase?? Also procedures to replace it and approx cost

EinST March 19th, 2011 6:33 PM

Check with local service departments? The part lists for ~$93. Labor? It'll probably take longer to look up the procedure. See article OnStar Backup Battery - GM Techlink for how it may have happened.

Chevrolet Customer Service March 24th, 2011 12:48 PM

twodogs47, have you been able to resolve this issue yet?

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service

DavidS1206 March 25th, 2011 8:10 PM

The Onstar unit is in the trunk, on the driver's side. Pull the trunk lining carpet away from the side of the trunk, and you will see it. The back-up battery is mounted on the side of the unit with a special bracket. Follow the instructions on the tech sheet listed above to avoid the check-engine light becoming lit. The battery is the "Ultralife" brand and has a GM part number of 88861186. Cost is 54.04 from www.gmpartsdirect.com. Follow the instructions in the GM tech sheet listed above and do it yourself. Save the labor cost. I hope this helped!! :D

DavidS1206 April 1st, 2011 6:12 PM

Got my new battery today, and had it installed in 10 minutes. No sweat! :D

in2pro September 29th, 2011 8:44 AM

My 2¢, if you are paying for On-Star the least they could do is provide you the battery at no cost.....Call them and tell them the battery is bad so you are canceling your subscription.....

twodogs47 January 18th, 2012 7:32 AM

Still working on it. have sent some emails to GM dealers with no response yet.

twodogs47 January 18th, 2012 8:06 AM

Originally Posted by DavidS1206 (Post 177068)
The Onstar unit is in the trunk, on the driver's side. Pull the trunk lining carpet away from the side of the trunk, and you will see it. The back-up battery is mounted on the side of the unit with a special bracket. Follow the instructions on the tech sheet listed above to avoid the check-engine light becoming lit. The battery is the "Ultralife" brand and has a GM part number of 88861186. Cost is 54.04 from www.gmpartsdirect.com. Follow the instructions in the GM tech sheet listed above and do it yourself. Save the labor cost. I hope this helped!! :D

Thanks sounds simple enough.

Lifted07 January 26th, 2012 5:59 PM

2dogs Have you found a battery yet? If not I have one I removed from my vehicle. If its the same your welcome to it.
Rod

twodogs47 January 28th, 2012 11:34 AM

Thanks Rods

Just received the BUB will install it soon. Thx again for the offer.<TABLE style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px" class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR title="Post 204418" vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 width=125 align=center>Lifted07</TD><TD class=alt1>2dogs Have you found a battery yet? If not I have one I removed from my vehicle. If its the same your welcome to it.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px" class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR title="Post 204418" vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 width=125 align=center>Lifted07</TD><TD class=alt1>2dogs Have you found a battery yet? If not I have one I removed from my vehicle. If its the same your welcome to it.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>