Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Impala (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/impala-14/)
-   -   Text Message Capability (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/impala-14/text-message-capability-65847/)

sblavesc June 5th, 2014 2:20 PM

Text Message Capability

I Just purchased a new 14 Impala a few weeks ago and was told it had text message alert and read out. For some reason I do not get alerts or anything when a text comes in. The Phone (incoming or outgoing calls)portion works correctly. Does anybody know if the Impala supports this? I have read the infotaiment book and there is a paragraph under messages that states if equipped???

On Page 79
http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...mpala_info.pdf

Thanks
Shawn

Chevrolet Customer Service June 5th, 2014 2:54 PM

Hi Shawn,

Congratulations on your new vehicle purchase! If you could provide us with your VIN through a private message, we can look at the specifics of your vehicle to verify that this option is available. You are also welcome to contact our Infotainment team at 855-478-7767.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

sledge.impy June 5th, 2014 3:25 PM

All the stock images from early on showed a Text Message app for Impala.

sblavesc June 5th, 2014 6:45 PM

A Chevy CSR messaged me and stated that is does not have the this feature. I also called infotaiment support and they did not know why some vehicles have it and some don't. They referred to the manual and told me it stated if equipped so maybe it is available on higher trims...ummmm I have the 2LTZ. Just very upsetting since this was a feature I was looking for and was told by multiple sources it had the feature. I wonder if there will be a update to add this feature. Oh well still love it.

EYEL1NER June 6th, 2014 3:54 PM

I'm not 100% sure that I am remembering correctly, but I thought there was someone else on here a while back that was asking about it and said that they were told the same thing when they bought the car. Sucks that you were told that by your salesman, I guess.

luckydriver June 10th, 2014 9:12 AM

it's not on 2LTZ either. i have to admit it would be really nice to have. i dont use the phone much but not having to keep the radio down to listen for things would be nice.

salesmen dont know it all. i asked about the vented seat and he said it only has it in the butt section, but now i know it has it on the back too. i do sorta find it unforgiveable that they dont know everything about every car though :) this IS their job and there may be one cool feature that sells a car and lets face it, rain and snow days mean no sales so why not read manuals and play with the cars?

sledge.impy June 10th, 2014 9:26 AM

Originally Posted by luckydriver (Post 277839)
it's not on 2LTZ either. i have to admit it would be really nice to have. i dont use the phone much but not having to keep the radio down to listen for things would be nice.

salesmen dont know it all. i asked about the vented seat and he said it only has it in the butt section, but now i know it has it on the back too. i do sorta find it unforgiveable that they dont know everything about every car though :) this IS their job and there may be one cool feature that sells a car and lets face it, rain and snow days mean no sales so why not read manuals and play with the cars?

The LT model is different than the LTZ.

Honestly, there are too many options these days, and they do have a wide range of inventory selections to sell with different options/add ons.

I think I would go insane or have a the option booklet with me to answer questions.

LarryFL June 11th, 2014 7:41 AM

The base model 2013 'LS' trim Malibu I just traded in had this feature. I am happy to say that my 2014 2LTZ has this feature.

"You have an incoming text from [ .... ]. You can say 'read it' or 'ignore'.... [beep]."

The text gets read to you by a Siri sounding gal (but with half the IQ and wit). The bad part is that if you get into a text conversation, the above script gets a bit tiresome. At some point you just ignore and read the short reply right off the phone.

sblavesc June 11th, 2014 8:23 AM

Originally Posted by LarryFL (Post 277900)
The base model 2013 'LS' trim Malibu I just traded in had this feature. I am happy to say that my 2014 2LTZ has this feature.

"You have an incoming text from [ .... ]. You can say 'read it' or 'ignore'.... [beep]."

The text gets read to you by a Siri sounding gal (but with half the IQ and wit). The bad part is that if you get into a text conversation, the above script gets a bit tiresome. At some point you just ignore and read the short reply right off the phone.

So do you actually have a messaging app on the mylink home screen. I also have a 2LTZ, that was purchased a month ago and I do not have this feature. It would be nice to know , but Chevy CSR or infotaiment support could not answer my question when I referred to the manual where is said if equipped. Well what determines if it is equipped? or is there a update to mylink that needs to be done?

LarryFL June 11th, 2014 9:31 AM

Originally Posted by sblavesc (Post 277901)
So do you actually have a messaging app on the mylink home screen. I also have a 2LTZ, that was purchased a month ago and I do not have this feature. It would be nice to know , but Chevy CSR or infotaiment support could not answer my question when I referred to the manual where is said if equipped. Well what determines if it is equipped? or is there a update to mylink that needs to be done?

No, nothing to read on MyLink...it's all read through speakers. It would defeat the purpose if you had to read something (you may as well read your phone, then crash into the car in front ).

There is no way to have Chevie re-read past messages either... she only reads new messages as they arrive, unless you choose to 'ignore'. I just wish there was an auto-read feature of the current conversation so you don't get prompted for each text. Then again, you could text them back to call you instead :p

sblavesc June 11th, 2014 2:14 PM

Originally Posted by LarryFL (Post 277906)
No, nothing to read on MyLink...it's all read through speakers. It would defeat the purpose if you had to read something (you may as well read your phone, then crash into the car in front ).

There is no way to have Chevie re-read past messages either... she only reads new messages as they arrive, unless you choose to 'ignore'. I just wish there was an auto-read feature of the current conversation so you don't get prompted for each text. Then again, you could text them back to call you instead :p

If you don't mind me asking, what type of phone do you have. My friends 2014 Camaro has a messaging app that you click on the home screen that displays text messages and has quick replies. It will also alert you and read them. Just curious if this is how your impala is. I am just so confused why your system would have it and others would not. The only conclusion I can come to is they put out 2 different versions of my link on the impalas.

sledge.impy June 11th, 2014 2:24 PM

Originally Posted by sblavesc (Post 277924)
If you don't mind me asking, what type of phone do you have. My friends 2014 Camaro has a messaging app that you click on the home screen that displays text messages and has quick replies. It will also alert you and read them. Just curious if this is how your impala is. I am just so confused why your system would have it and others would not. The only conclusion I can come to is they put out 2 different versions of my link on the impalas.

We only have Pandora app. No text message app. Android phone, bluetoothed.

LarryFL June 11th, 2014 2:36 PM

Originally Posted by sblavesc (Post 277924)
If you don't mind me asking, what type of phone do you have. . . . . .

I have three devices Bluetooth-configured:
  • Windows Phone: Samsung Neo
  • iPhone: 5C
  • Android: Samsung S4
...but can only confirm messages through two of them (Windows and IPhone).

sblavesc June 11th, 2014 5:33 PM

I also have a Android phone, Wonder if it is just the Android phones not working???

LarryFL June 12th, 2014 6:10 AM

Originally Posted by sblavesc (Post 277901)

I find it strange that you have a LTZ w/2LT that doesn't have the feature and they can tell that by the VIN. You say you bought it last month, but what was your build date?

For mine, I just checked the brochure and window sticker and it makes no mention of text feature yet I have it. If they mentioned it in the literature, or was on the window sticker, Chevy would have to get it added to your vehicle somehow (by changing the head unit, I guess). Even if the salesman demo'd it during the test drive but sold you a different car, the dealership would have to make it right (which is why they always want you buy the exact car you test drove.)

sblavesc June 12th, 2014 9:22 AM

[QUOTE=LarryFL;277970]I find it strange that you have a LTZ w/2LT that doesn't have the feature and they can tell that by the VIN. You say you bought it last month, but what was your build date?

Here is what CSR messaged me with

"Hey there,

Thank you for the VIN. After looking into your vehicle build sheet, there is not a text messaging feature equipped in your Impala. Have you considered contacting our Infotainment team for further assistance? They should be able to pin point the concern and possibly clarify anything further for you. I saw that Jessica gave you the number, but I will give it to you again to be sure; 855-478-7767. Let me know if you make contact, and if you have any updates.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care"

My build is 12/2013. The feature was never demoed to me in the impala, we first were looking at the traverse and this is were I tested my phone out. Then moved on to the impala and just asked if it had the same text messaging function and was told yes. So my fault for not testing (it was also noted as a feature by another dealer when price shopping). I did also call GM and they did state the Impala does not support this feature. I wonder if you got a Testing\Beta unit installed in your impala by accident. Can you post you software version of mylink.

luckydriver June 13th, 2014 9:09 AM

if i can get a phone that will definitely interrupt the radio with even an incoming text warning, i think i may have to get that phone. but i'm not wanting apple stuff. i have a droid now. i would probably deal with a windows phone.

luckydriver June 13th, 2014 9:18 AM

i found this video

How to use Text Message Alerts in a 2014 Chevrolet with MyLink - YouTube

and this link to chevy

Overview
so you can play around with phone configs

sblavesc June 13th, 2014 2:28 PM

LarryFL was the only person I heard state that his works. I even paired my sons iphone 5 and it still would not alert. So this is why I am curious to see what software version he has on mylink.

sblavesc June 13th, 2014 2:52 PM

I did just receive a call from chevy infotaiment support and they confirmed from their documents that the 2014 impala does NOT support this feature. She did state some phones have a "Drive Mode". Basically the phone knows it is paired to a vehicle and does its own read out of the message through Bluetooth streaming, So it appears that mylink is reading them out but actually the phone is just streaming the readout audio itself. They expect a update to come out, but that will not happen until the 4g Hotspot options in the new vehicles and app store go live.

LarryFL June 13th, 2014 5:03 PM

Originally Posted by sblavesc (Post 278071)
LarryFL was the only person I heard state that his works. I even paired my sons iphone 5 and it still would not alert. So this is why I am curious to see what software version he has on mylink.

Software:

sblavesc August 14th, 2014 8:57 AM

It appears when you check the new mylink features on the 2015 it states it has the text message capability, wonder why the 2014 still does not have this feature. I checked with the dealer and there were no updates.

sledge.impy August 14th, 2014 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by sblavesc (Post 282769)
It appears when you check the new mylink features on the 2015 it states it has the text message capability, wonder why the 2014 still does not have this feature. I checked with the dealer and there were no updates.

I saw a youtube car review video of a 2015 and yes, it has the TEXT app.

2014 isn't supposed to get any updates. It's dead in the water. :eek:

sblavesc August 15th, 2014 3:11 PM

Where did you hear they will not update the 2014 ? That makes me even angrier , working in IT I know it would be a simple feature since all mylink systems are based on the QNX operating system. GM already has the programming done since it is on other systems.

LarryFL August 16th, 2014 8:14 AM

So Impalas built early in 2013 don't have text capability, and those built later in 2013 (mine) have it? It seems to be a simple software issue that should be able to be applied to earlier units. This is strange.

sledge.impy August 16th, 2014 9:35 AM

Originally Posted by LarryFL (Post 282907)
So Impalas built early in 2013 don't have text capability, and those built later in 2013 (mine) have it? It seems to be a simple software issue that should be able to be applied to earlier units. This is strange.

You have the app on your console screen that says "Text" ?

I'm on Android. I'm guessing the app would be there even if it wasn't paired, as on that 2015 review video I saw.

I was 10/2013 build.. sticker driver side, in between front and rear door, lower.

LarryFL August 16th, 2014 9:44 AM

No app needed. I just get text messages read to me through speakers when phone is connected through blutooth. It translates my reply through the mic back into text on my phone. I was expecting it to be there (without confirming) when I bought the car since my base model 2013 Malibu had the same capability. Why on earth would they not have it on a car that retails for $14,000 more? Sure enough, I have it on the Impala, but man would I be pissed if I didn't.

sblavesc August 18th, 2014 8:40 AM

I tried multiple ways of support to get a answer ( dealer, infotainment, twitter, gm support) and basically it all comes down to they have no plans o have not heard anything. So basically sledge is right , likely dead in the water. So gm customer support if you are reading this is a disappointment for something that could be easily addressed.

sblavesc August 27th, 2014 9:29 AM

Just wanted to let you all know this app fills the void with text messaging in the impala, when a message comes in now on my phone (HTC One) it will now read the message over the speakers

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....smstalk&hl=en

sblavesc October 14th, 2014 10:15 AM

I was checking out a chevy truck forum, when I stumbled on this
2013-2015 GM Video In Motion and Navigation Unlock - Chevrolet Navigations - GM Navs
It also adds the text feature to our cars. I am guessing some programming on the back end unlocks it all.

LarryFL November 17th, 2014 6:25 AM

I had text messaging capability on my 2014 MyLink with my Windows Phone (Samsung Ativ S Neo). I switched the latest (and best) Android phone (Galaxy Note 4) and now I don't have it any more. :(

I'll spend some time trying to get it to work, but for now I'm in the same boat as most of you. I'll update when I know for sure.

Chevrolet Customer Service November 18th, 2014 2:31 PM

Hey LarryFL,

I apologize for these concerns with your vehicle. Please contact our Infotainment Team for any possible assistance with this. They can be reached at 855-478-7767. Let us know if they were able to assist you with this.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

sblavesc April 8th, 2015 3:12 PM

So I thought I would give mylink support a quick call to see if this feature was ever going to be added. Was told the 14 Impala was a test car for the new mylink generation, it was released as a beta. the 15 has the true production mylink, for some reason kind of made me angry it was explained that way