Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Impala (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/impala-14/)
-   -   Traction Control (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/impala-14/traction-control-7650/)

impalagal June 5th, 2007 7:31 PM

Traction Control

Anyone find a (permanent) fix for the ABS/Traction control problems? Or how about the Intermediate steering shaft? Are the two related? I've had the ISSreplaced twice and lubed twice. Since nothing worked, I let it go for a while.....then the traction control kept coming on for no reason. I'd turn it off and it would still activate-mostly during right turns. Right front speed sensor replaced a month ago. Doing it all over again. And the clunking is getting unbearable. Taking it to independent repair shop on Saturday.

'02 LS 3.8 77,000 miles

impalagal June 8th, 2007 9:00 AM

RE: Traction Control

Some more info on this subject. I'm bound & determined to find the root of these two problems!

Had my son in the car turning the steering wheel back & forth while I looked under the hood. The engine is moving with each turn- escpecially to the right. The ABS activates whenever I turn right. I wonder if the engine shifting to the right is placing weight on the right, setting off the right front wheel speed sensor, therefore activating the ABS/Traction control.... Maybe it has something to do with the engine cradle/welds.

Am I on the right track? Otherwise, I'll have steering shaft lubed & Right speed sensor replaced again & go from there. Frustration!!

I'll let everyone know after I have it checked out Saturday.

alleydude June 12th, 2007 6:23 PM

Please keep us posted, I'm having very similar problems. Haven't noticed the motor moving around, but will check it out.

impalagal June 13th, 2007 8:22 AM

This keeps getting more frustrating! The independent shop I went to (which works on my Camaro) had no clue about the Intermediate steering shaft. Even told me that there's no way anything could go wrong with them!!!! Said the clunking had to be coming from the rack.But he played w/the shaft a bit & it stopped clunking when I left. I think he lubed it.He didn't want to admit he was wrong about the ISS! He sprayed the wires to the wheel speed sensor to clean them and the ABS only activated once since this past Saturday. The welds are all good. So is there a connection between the 2 problems? I still dunno!The engine shifting- he thought that maybe it was just "flexing" but he's never seen it happen before. Maybe I'm better off going to the dealer w/this car! At least they didn't charge me anything and the clunking is gone for now & ABS has been quiet!

impalagal June 28th, 2007 9:52 PM

2 weeks later the ISS is still qiuet, but the Traction control is activating a lot. Like backing out of my driveway....always when turning right. ABS is activating again-when turning right. Last night the ABS/Trac Off/ Service Traction Control lights came on. Unfortunately, it was too late at night to go to the shop to check codes. And usually, after turning car off, the codes are gone. I'm thinking about disconnecting the ABS alltogether. Has anyone done this?

muncie4speed July 11th, 2007 8:56 PM

2001 Impala LS 3.38 liter w/ traction control and ABS system 122,000 miles one owner, car has been pampered all of its life...
Problem began as clunking noise after shifting into drive gear and proceedingat very low speeds, especially when steering wheel is being turned. I turned off traction control and eliminated problem for 2000 miles.Now with traction control in "Off" at low speedsand while turningwheelswith brakes applied at lower speeds the ABS system is pulsating. I presume ABS systemand Traction Control system rely on the same sensors built into wheel bearing housing. Is there a professional in the crowd that knows what is wrong and what is the proper remedy??

MalibuMaxxSS July 12th, 2007 11:49 AM

there is a bearing in your 'upper steering 'shaft assemble' very common for these to go and cause a clunking sound, my brother had his replaced and 76,000km, the ABS and TC problem would not come from this, that sounds more like a wiring problem, with the ABS kicking in when not needed, the TC and ABS DO work together, basically, when you TC kicks in the computer applies the ABS V rapidly to your wheels limiting spin, also cuts engine power....couldnt tell you where to start looking but if you ABS and Service TC light is on go get it scanned......should pinpoint this problem......I work ata stealership and have not heard of this on Impalas, the steering shaft YES quite common actually.

impalagal July 12th, 2007 12:08 PM

I had my right front wheel bearing replaced afew months ago. It was fine for maybe a month. Then the traction control & ABS problem came back. Finally it threw a code stating the right front wheel bearing was erratic. I'm having it replaced again Saturday. But I doubt this will solve it- unless it was a bad replacement part. But why was it good for a month.............

MalibuMaxxSS July 12th, 2007 4:27 PM

that will prolly solve most of your problem, if the wheel bearing is screwed or they messed a sensor on the back side of your brakes, that will through your ABS, and TC out as they are tied together.....It may have been good for a month till the grease all leaked out and got replaced with road crap and water ....could be just a wire loose on teh backside that finally gave way or a sensor that was on tis way and is now toast.......can you hear you wheelbearing squeeling???...they make an awful squeeling grinding sound when they go...

impalagal July 13th, 2007 9:40 AM

It's actually the right wheel speed sensor that I had replaced and is bad again. No noises other than the ABS activating.

But I do live on a limerock road. Could this be a problem for the sensor? Haven't had much trouble during the 4 years I've owned it. Original brakesw/ nearly 79,000 miles - have them checked @ every oil change. Maybe brakes are worn differently on that side possibly throwing off the sensor?? Maybe replacing them anyway would help? I'll have them checked again tomorrow. Hopefully mydifficulties will help someone else!