Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Impala (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/impala-14/)
-   -   Turn key and nothing happens. (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/impala-14/turn-key-nothing-happens-53529/)

johnfberglund@comcast.net October 5th, 2012 2:23 PM

Turn key and nothing happens.

I have a 2003 Impala.When I turn the key,dashboard lights and everything comes on but the engine doesn't turn. It may happen once a day or once a week or even several weeks. Battery checks good.
I am open to any suggestions.
Thanks for your help.

Please Help!
John B.

tymr287 October 5th, 2012 11:16 PM

Before condeming any parts make sure your battery cables are tight & free of corrosion @ the starter & ground.

tomyear1 October 6th, 2012 7:22 PM

Im having the same problem in my 2011. All the lights on the dash are lite and when i turn the key to start everything goes dead, no fuel pump, I can just hear some relays under the dash. This didnt happen over a period of time or give me any warning lights. I started the car and drove it in the morning started it up drove home went to use later that day and no start checked the battery and it read 9v. Replaced battery and still no start. Checked the started and its good, when key is turned to start no voltage to the solenoid wire. I'll tell you if I find out whats wrong.

Chevrolet Customer Service October 9th, 2012 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by tomyear1 (Post 228671)
Im having the same problem in my 2011. All the lights on the dash are lite and when i turn the key to start everything goes dead, no fuel pump, I can just hear some relays under the dash. This didnt happen over a period of time or give me any warning lights. I started the car and drove it in the morning started it up drove home went to use later that day and no start checked the battery and it read 9v. Replaced battery and still no start. Checked the started and its good, when key is turned to start no voltage to the solenoid wire. I'll tell you if I find out whats wrong.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> tomyear1,

Is the vehicle cranking at all? This issue may be battery related (e.g. connection issue). This is just a suggestion, not a diagnosis. I encourage you to consult with a certified technician for an official diagnosis. They will be able to offer additional information after inspecting the vehicle.

Please keep us posted. If you have additional questions, please feel free to PM me.

Louis
GM Customer Service

bekurt October 9th, 2012 1:32 PM

It may be your starter.

tomyear1 October 11th, 2012 11:26 AM

No it wasent cranking, I had it towed to the chevy dealer as it still under warranty. The ECM was hit with a voltage spike, maybe lightning here in Florida. But the dealer was great and replaced it without charge. Now the car starts fine and seems to have more power.

Auto 360 October 24th, 2012 12:30 PM

It's probably an issue with your battery. When you try to start it, there's no noise at all?