K5 Blazer 1969-1994
While this model ended its run, it is not uncommon to see them on the road or off, years after production end.
Platform: Truck, GMT 400

New engine...lots of smoke out the tailpipe

Search this Thread

Old September 5th, 2017, 1:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New engine...lots of smoke out the tailpipe

Just put the first real miles in on a new engine, 350 mild port 230/230 .050 cam, edelbrock 1406.
It did fine the short trips testing and what not but today it started smoking real bad if you let off the gas after giving it more than half throttle, let it idle too long, or dont touch the throttle down hill. At all other times it does not smoke.
At first i thought its burning coolant but it wreaks of gas, i tried re tuning the carb back to completely stock and i tried running it just off the fuel bowl, both with no change.
I checked it over this morning and it Does not appear to be losing coolant but my oil level did rise, it is NOT murky like it has water in it.
I noticed my valve cover breather was also puffing a little smoke at idle, same white/blue color but it is not oily at all. It smells like gas.

Car following me says white smoke, looked like it had a blue haze in the mirror. It seems to have started missing at the same time, could this be a lot of excess fuel not getting burnt?

Its 90 and i drove over 50 miles with no temp issues

Any help is appreciated
Old September 5th, 2017, 3:29 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

If it's fuel it'd be black smoke, what carb do you have?
Old September 5th, 2017, 3:31 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Only way for gas to get in the crankcase is rich carb, plus leaking intake manifold
Old September 9th, 2017, 6:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well one fuel pump, a vaccuum modulator, pcv, oil change, and set of plugs later its running correctly. Still working on the tune, bogs when you mash on it (doesnt even really wanna run out my converter stall). Then its good when it picks up, plugs look great now
Old September 9th, 2017, 9:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

accelerator pump?