K5 Blazer 1969-1994
While this model ended its run, it is not uncommon to see them on the road or off, years after production end.
Platform: Truck, GMT 400

will a 2000 350 fit my 78 blazer?

Search this Thread

Old July 5th, 2009, 12:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will a 2000 350 fit my 78 blazer?

I have access to a 5.7 liter fuel injected engine from my totalled 2000 silverado. I have a newly acquired 78 blazer k5 4x4 with a 5.7 carburated blown engine. (something bent the end of the sparkplug and engine now locked up) Wondering if a swap would be easy? Would anything fit like trans, motor mounts, headers that are on the blazer? I would have to buy this engine back from someone for about 800, so maybe i should just buy a short block 350 or rebuild existing.Thanks a million.
Old July 12th, 2009, 1:56 AM
CF Junior Member

I'm working on converting my motor from TBI to carb...There isn't ALL that much to it....but upgrading to newer instead of downgrading will be a little more involved.

The motor should bolt right up. The motor mounts should be the same and it should bolt up fine to your trans. If your Blazer has an auto trans, you may run into issues about computer controlling with the trans. If you have a manual trans in the Blazer, I don't think there would be a problem. If you're going with auto trans, you will probably have to put a newer trans in it with a trans control module

You will have to replace the fuel pump, since the 2000 motor will use a computer controlled in tank pump. You're mechanical pump on the K5 motor won't work with the new motor. You will also have to run the wiring for the new pump.

You will also have to put in the computer for the 2000 motor since everything on it is computer controlled. Along with the computer, you will have to use all the proper wiring for it.

You will have to install the o2 sensors as well. This will involve drilling into your exhaust so you can mount the sensors.....Best to have a muffler shop or machine shop do that for you.

I don't know if the exhaust manifold / headers will bolt up between the two motors. Take measurements to find out before you do the swap.

There may be other things to it, but this is all i can think of off the top of my head....Like I said, I'm basically doing the reverse of what you're trying to do so I have it a little easier.

On second thought, if you're having to pay 800 to get the 2000 motor....save yourself the time and money and just swap it out with a carb 305, 327, or 350. I see them all over craigslist all the time in the 350 - 500 dollar price range.
Old July 28th, 2009, 10:34 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could get a carbed vortec intake and use a non efi distributor, it sounds like fun and i know i would try it if it were me
Old July 28th, 2009, 10:48 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by lukemoore646
you could get a carbed vortec intake and use a non efi distributor, it sounds like fun and i know i would try it if it were me
That will work, but the 2000 engine block is going to have a temp sensor on the side of the block that the carb motor doesn't have.....so the 2000 block will have a gaping hole in the side of it from the sensor that doesn't apply to the carb motor
Old August 2nd, 2009, 2:47 PM
CF Active Member

just leave it in and you should be okay
Old August 11th, 2009, 9:33 AM
CF Senior Member

quote>>>I'm working on converting my motor from TBI to carb...There isn't ALL that much to it....but upgrading to newer instead of downgrading will be a little more involved.

hey bro is there a reason your going from tbi to a carbed motor?curious
Old September 10th, 2009, 9:06 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by myotherchevyisablazer
quote>>>I'm working on converting my motor from TBI to carb...There isn't ALL that much to it....but upgrading to newer instead of downgrading will be a little more involved.

hey bro is there a reason your going from tbi to a carbed motor?curious
I did the same thing kinda...I went from a tbi 305 to a carburated 383. I gotta say though...Im gonna miss that tbi in the winter.
Old September 10th, 2009, 9:35 AM
CF Senior Member

yes tbi's are great when rocking back and forth on trails when you need a steady flow of fuel,my carbed buddy is always stalling when in tight situations or tilted to far foward or sitting on his rear going up....carbs are fun...
Old September 10th, 2009, 8:36 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

If I build my 383 anymore I'll probably make the swap to carb also.
I can only run 670 cfm even with the Holley, that's a change that is a year or 2 away.
Personaly I would put the money into a setup you can just drop in without all the electronics.
Old September 11th, 2009, 10:49 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by myotherchevyisablazer
yes tbi's are great when rocking back and forth on trails when you need a steady flow of fuel,my carbed buddy is always stalling when in tight situations or tilted to far foward or sitting on his rear going up....carbs are fun...

The Holly truck avenger carb solves that problem. My buddy runs one on his 1984 chevy sand dune truck. He can climb sand dunes all day without stalling. If my street avenger ever takes a crap I'm going with the truck avenger. But hey I got my holley 770 for free so that isn't going anywhere anytime soon

Quick Reply: will a 2000 350 fit my 78 blazer?