Go Back  Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Chevrolet Forum Community > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

diference between a small block and an big block

Notices
The Lounge Go inside for off-topic discussions on cars, videos, racing, and everything else!

diference between a small block and an big block

Old April 9th, 2009, 7:53 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diference between a small block and an big block

On tv shows i can hear, this car got a V8 big block o V8 small block, but i don't know what is the diferece, because for me an V8 always is a big block. Can someone explain this??
Old April 9th, 2009, 8:03 AM
CF Monarch

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Its the size and shape of the block. To boggle your mind even more, there were raised block, short block, and long block as well.

Small Block: The smaller of a manufacturers two series of engines:
Small block includes the 262, 265, 267, 283, 302, 305, 307, 327, 350, and 400.

Big Block: The larger of a manufacturers two series of engines.
In the case of Chevy, the 366, 396, 402, 427, and 454.
Old April 9th, 2009, 9:59 AM
CF Junior Member

Ok, thank you evans for you answer.

the last year when i travel to USA, i buy a magazine called super chevy (No. of july 2008) , i can see in there a lot of accesories for the V6 and V8 engines, but i can't see accesories, for smaller engines like mine (4 cylinders in line 2.0L ), someone know some manufacturers make engine accessories such as mine?
Old April 9th, 2009, 5:00 PM
Super Moderator

"Small block" usually refers to engines used in cars or light trucks, or for light industrial applications. The block is literally smaller, with the cylinder bores being proportionately generally larger in contrast to block size.

"Large blocks" are usually manufactured for use in trucks, and they tend to have a bigger, heavier block, and the cylinders have many times been sized down to fit a manufacturer's needs. This could be merely to satisfy a contract without ordering or manufacturing any more small blocks, or in many cases, to provide the consumer with a base engine which they can modify to more brawny horsepower, without removing or changing the core engine.

If you google your parts request, you'll find more manufacturers are now catering to smaller vehicle needs, it's an explosively expanding market. Some of the new muscle cars are Honda, Toyota, and Nissan.

Last edited by therewolf; April 9th, 2009 at 5:03 PM.
Old April 9th, 2009, 7:15 PM
CF Junior Member

Great explanation, thank you rivereye. Later than read this, i'm thinking about, if you got a sport car ,what is the best option for customized your car, mount a small block into the car or mount a large block?

Originally Posted by rivereye View Post
Some of the new muscle cars are Honda, Toyota, and Nissan.
Yes, that is a madness, for me a muscle car must be a 100% american car and too must got a V8 engine.

An muscle car must got .- 1 an great engine sound
2 an huge torque ( the wheels must slip with a low RPM level)
3 must be a RWD

Last edited by EvansBlue; April 9th, 2009 at 7:43 PM.
Old April 9th, 2009, 7:53 PM
CF Monarch

Modern day muscle is not found in Toyota, Honda, or anything else. Not in my opinion anyway.
Its gotta be American and its gotta be a V8.
Old April 10th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

I hear ya, but you might just be surprised when that FWD Sentra or Celica's kicking out 400HP.

They're out there, but my point is if you look around, you can find those who not only cater to the smaller car market, but won't just say "We don't stock that." and let it drop.
Old April 10th, 2009, 5:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Yes rivereye, i understand you. Today the smaller cars too got a lot of hp
Old April 11th, 2009, 12:27 AM
CF Monarch

Theres few import tuners that impress me.

Exceptions to my opinions on imports include the following.
The late 80's model Twin Turbo Supras are on my list of favorite cars. The newer model Supras can make as much power as the block can withstand.

I was kinda amazed by Subaru as well. Its one of the only Japanese makes that I consider as high-quality. The horizontally opposed engine is unique to-be-sure.
Old April 11th, 2009, 4:46 AM
CF Junior Member

And the 4WD of subaru too is a high quality system. i think the higest quality in engines are the germans cars (Porsche, Mercedes, Audi) and some english (Lotus, Aston Martin,TVR), but in comparaison with the japans or americans cars they are most expensive.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: diference between a small block and an big block

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.