Notices
The Lounge Go inside for off-topic discussions on cars, videos, racing, and everything else!

Thoughts on buying "new" vs late

Old June 10th, 2019, 12:16 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on buying "new" vs late

First some perspective, early afternoon and very early morning '93 Heavy Chevy G20 hightop driver here. Watch a lot of and catch on camera more disappointing disrespect of the road and safety of others than I thought possible... Also a lot of broken toys. It also brought back a trip to Daytona and passing so many more. There are themes. Often poor care. I do help, I hope someone helps me someday. Also notice, manufactured flaws. Planned obsolescence, they call it. Saying to those I know, look for a moving part first. Most often to owners of new cars. Feeling betrayed, purchase old and maintain myself.
Old June 10th, 2019, 4:08 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Beau Oszman View Post
First some perspective, early afternoon and very early morning '93 Heavy Chevy G20 hightop driver here. Watch a lot of and catch on camera more disappointing disrespect of the road and safety of others than I thought possible... Also a lot of broken toys. It also brought back a trip to Daytona and passing so many more. There are themes. Often poor care. I do help, I hope someone helps me someday. Also notice, manufactured flaws. Planned obsolescence, they call it. Saying to those I know, look for a moving part first. Most often to owners of new cars. Feeling betrayed, purchase old and maintain myself.
Haven't bought a brand new vehicle in a long time, but I know what to look for buying used.vehicle, I am a professional driver/tech, and you cant make many mistakes with an 80,000 lb rig, or people die. Everyone is driving well over the speed limits, and tailgating happens every day and is too often fatal. I do all the work on my vehicles unless I need a hoist or lift. Make side money working on other vehicles, as I no longer drive 70-80 hours a week. Getting too old for LTL delivery past that point. Poor care is what make an auto-tech his money oftentimes. The new cars are becoming more unreliable due to federal fuel mileage laws, and parts from overseas, not in the USA.
Old June 10th, 2019, 4:20 AM
CF Junior Member

Don't know of it's because of profession (forklift operator/yard dog switching to CDL driver soon) or just exposure to shows like Canada's worst driver. Maybe it's just the addition of technology (rig operator using cell instead of CB to notify of spotted issues, touchscreen radio, FB notifications, etc.) Maybe it's the biker in me. Maybe it's Florida. I don't remember the drivers up north like this at all, just after Pontiac fell (2002? Roughly). Most broken toys at that point were actual abuse failures. Maybe it's just the knowledge that comes with age, or have times really changed that much?
Old June 11th, 2019, 12:43 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Beau Oszman View Post
Don't know of it's because of profession (forklift operator/yard dog switching to CDL driver soon) or just exposure to shows like Canada's worst driver. Maybe it's just the addition of technology (rig operator using cell instead of CB to notify of spotted issues, touchscreen radio, FB notifications, etc.) Maybe it's the biker in me. Maybe it's Florida. I don't remember the drivers up north like this at all, just after Pontiac fell (2002? Roughly). Most broken toys at that point were actual abuse failures. Maybe it's just the knowledge that comes with age, or have times really changed that much?
Driving has changed alot since the 1970"s. Wages
have dropped, HOS is a mess and ELB is stupid.
Having a camera watching a driver is counter productive. The new rigs are nice to drive but
Auto shifts are a joke. Won't drive an auto shift
and no big brother cameras either. You'll do well
being a yard jockey to a driver. Seen to many
Rookies who couldn't back for ****. Dont miss CB
radio.Hydraulic power steering and AC works for me.
Old June 11th, 2019, 11:25 PM
CF Junior Member

By camera I mean, I have a dash camera in my personal set up for those with no respect at all. Hope I never have to hand over the sd card.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.