Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

’13 Malibu Struggling To/Won’t Start; Everything Electrical Turned On

Old February 24th, 2018, 2:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ’13 Malibu Struggling To/Won’t Start; Everything Electrical Turned On

Hello, all!

I purchased my 2013 Chevy Malibu new. After 18,000 miles, it needed its engine replaced. It is now at approximately 36,000 miles, and I am having more trouble with it.

First, my car failed to start. It tried to turn over approximately 3-4 times with no luck. I tried a couple of other times, and had the same issue. The lights came on, dash, etc.

The next day, I started the car after it struggled to turn over. The engine sounded terrible, and the service power steering light came on. I didn’t feel great about driving it and wasn’t prepared to take it to a mechanic. A few more times, I tried to start the car. Sometimes it would start after difficulty turning over, sometimes it wouldn’t start at all.

One evening, my mother used the car. After it struggled to start, she drove it one mile without stopping the car. When she stopped it upon returning home, everything “electric” turned on: the blinkers, windshield wipers, hazards, interior lights, display screen, exterior lights, etc. We then had to turn everything off manually. The engine light also turned on. We could not get the exterior lights or engine light to turn off, and after an hour of trying the exterior lights to turn off, I gave up.

I’m searching for a good mechanic, but if anyone has any idea what the issue could be, I would like to have a good idea. I would genuinely appreciate any assistance! Thank-you!
Old February 24th, 2018, 5:07 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by MeganVanLoon
Hello, all!

I purchased my 2013 Chevy Malibu new. After 18,000 miles, it needed its engine replaced. It is now at approximately 36,000 miles, and I am having more trouble with it.

First, my car failed to start. It tried to turn over approximately 3-4 times with no luck. I tried a couple of other times, and had the same issue. The lights came on, dash, etc.

The next day, I started the car after it struggled to turn over. The engine sounded terrible, and the service power steering light came on. I didn’t feel great about driving it and wasn’t prepared to take it to a mechanic. A few more times, I tried to start the car. Sometimes it would start after difficulty turning over, sometimes it wouldn’t start at all.

One evening, my mother used the car. After it struggled to start, she drove it one mile without stopping the car. When she stopped it upon returning home, everything “electric” turned on: the blinkers, windshield wipers, hazards, interior lights, display screen, exterior lights, etc. We then had to turn everything off manually. The engine light also turned on. We could not get the exterior lights or engine light to turn off, and after an hour of trying the exterior lights to turn off, I gave up.

I’m searching for a good mechanic, but if anyone has any idea what the issue could be, I would like to have a good idea. I would genuinely appreciate any assistance! Thank-you!
What motor does your Bu' have?
Old February 24th, 2018, 8:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the failed to start....is it a no crank condition or cranks but won't start? Is this intermitent or all the time?

Search this Thread