Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Malibu (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/malibu-15/)
-   -   06 Maxx SS Visor and light questions. (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/malibu-15/06-maxx-ss-visor-light-questions-41920/)

ChevyTruckNut April 19th, 2011 8:00 PM

06 Maxx SS Visor and light questions.

Hey people. I've tried the forum search with no luck, so if it's already been talked about maybe you can point me in the right direction for some of answers to my questions, and I'm sorry for reposting a previously asked question(s).

To the questions,

First one. My drivers side sun visor mirror cover/flap decided to break and it's all floppy now. Is there any way to fix that or do I need to buy a new one?

Second one. My dome light switch is kinda screwed up. It is hard to move from one position to the other and it will only be on or off. I can no longer have it in the middle position where the light comes on with the doors. How to I get to the switch to fix/replace it?

Last one. One of my wifes ex co-workers was nice enough to break my rear sunshade for the rear moon roof. Is there a step-by-step procedure to get into that area and repair that issue?

Thanks for any help or pointers you all can give me.

EinST April 19th, 2011 10:44 PM

Welcome to the forum.:) On the sun visor, there was a campaign (long expired) and a TSB:

Campaign_05094A.pdf - Windows Live
TSB_05-08-110-005F.pdf - Windows Live

I'm not sure about the dome lamp but you usually start by prying off the lens cover first. On the sunroof, I think you almost have to have the factory service manual to work on it.

ChevyTruckNut April 19th, 2011 11:12 PM

Thanks. I'm glad to be here.

I really didn't want to go prying off things without knowing that's what I am suppose to do. I'm really good a breaking things ;)

I'm curious if I can still take it in and get it replaced. I already have once before, so I hope they'll do it again.

Where do I find a factory service manual??

Thanks.

EinST April 20th, 2011 11:25 AM

I'm positive they'll charge you for the sun visor plus labor. The factory service manuals are available from helminc.com. Search for GMP06Z. Used copies also show up on eBay from time to time.

ChevyTruckNut April 21st, 2011 10:03 PM

So I've figured out how the visor mirror flap/cover broke, and I was able to repair it. I did take a pic of what the problem was so I'll post that later. There are two little clip type springs that attach at the top inside the mirror and the plastic that they plug into decided to break. So I was able to find them and I put them back in and glued them in with two part epoxy. I also took the dome light apart and was able to fix that. The contact plate had came off the plastic clip in there and was kinda sideways in there. No pictures of that, but it seems to be working fine now. I still need to fix the back seat sunshade though. I'm still looking for some help with that. I just can't justify spending the $100+ on the factory service manual.

EinST April 22nd, 2011 11:19 AM

Check your local public library for a factory service manual set on any 2004-2007 Malibu or watch eBay for same. I would mention an online subscription to alldatadiy.com or eautorepair.net but they might be a little spotty on interior teardowns.

scorpion48 April 23rd, 2011 8:59 AM

I've been through 3 drivers side visor mirror covers covered under warrantee and now the 3rd one has broke. I'm not gonna fix it this time, very cheaply made part. THanks Chevy.

Chevrolet Customer Service April 28th, 2011 8:17 AM

scorpion48, I'm sorry to hear how often you've had repair your visor. If you would like I could setup a case for you with our Customer Assistance team to see if we would be able to assist in getting this repaired for you. Direct message me if you would be interested. Thank you for your time.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service

ChevyTruckNut April 29th, 2011 5:04 PM

Sorry I haven't uploaded any pix of the problem and solution yet. Life has been a little hectic lately. This is my second one that I've had on my 'bu, and I didn't want to have to pay to get a new one put in that would break again.

Has anyone else had the same issues with their rear sunshade??? That is the only thing that I haven't been able to fix yet.

ChevyTruckNut April 29th, 2011 11:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As you can see in this pic, there is a little metal spring clip that holds the mirror flap up and down. You can also see here that the plastic that it plugs into has cracked. I repaired it with some epoxy from Napa; my favorite parts store BTW :D

I hope this helps someone else down the road.