Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2003 Chevy Malibu – Glove Compartment Broken

Search this Thread

Old February 7th, 2008, 10:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Chevy Malibu – Glove Compartment Broken

2003 Chevy Malibu – Glove Compartment Broken

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any of your malibus had problems with the glove compartment ? the bottom of the door has detached from the actual compartment and I don't see how to put it back on.

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/7647/p1010048sz4.jpg

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/9186/p1010049nz6.jpg

db
2003 Malibu 3.1

I hope its nota commonproblem - chevy should know how tomake a glove compartment by now
Old February 8th, 2008, 8:49 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 2003 Chevy Malibu – Glove Compartment Broken

I'm sorry, hard to tell from your pictures. But it would appear that the side of the door furthest from the latch mechanism should either have a pin through it, or it sits in the channel at the bottom of the glove box. Best advice I can give you is to go to your nearest Autozone and get a Haynes manual (best money you will ever spend while fixing your car for almost anything, I promise), it will tell you how to remove the glove box and how to re-install it.
Old February 11th, 2008, 9:54 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 2003 Chevy Malibu – Glove Compartment Broken

hi mpeel,

thanks for the reply. I did take a look at the Haynes manual before I posted my question and I know how to remove the actual compartment and the compartment door. It does not state whether they are one piece or two.

Just by looking what has been broken, it seems that the flexible plastic where the door connects to the compartment has simply been broken. I don’t see any screws that attach the door to the compartment. I just wanted to verify this with some Malibu owners but no one has responded. I find that odd because as you can see this post has gotten a lot of views so that means fellow owners are having issues.

Db03 malibu 3.1
Old October 12th, 2009, 12:10 AM
CF Beginner

Default ....

Yeah, I seem to have the same problem with my 2003 Chevy Malibu. I haven't asked anybody how to fix it, I just try to not use my glove box until I can talk to somebody about it. Sorry I wasn't much help.
Old May 4th, 2010, 1:17 PM
CF Beginner

The pics are gone cannot view. my malibu has the bottom plastic part broken and the door will fall of if not for the side arms.
It looks like I can put a strip of heavy cloth (6 inches long 2 inches wide) with super glue on each side and make a new bottom hinge.
Old November 20th, 2010, 9:56 AM
CF Beginner

Default 03 Malibu Glove box hinge repair

Several years ago I had the same problem with the glove box door hinge failing on my 03 Malibu. I repaired mine by drilling two small holes on each side and wiring the door to the broken hinge part. I twisted the wires together on the bottom side so you don't see it inside the glove box. Now the door rests on top of the hinge area and the wires hold it from falling rearward. I used stainless steel aircraft safety wire but a paperclip will work too. Since this had held up for several years I can say the repair is "Better than new!" See the attached picture for details.
Attached Thumbnails -left-side-wire-hinge.jpg  
Old September 3rd, 2022, 5:52 PM
CF Beginner

Default Broken glove box

Hey guys I have the same problem but one of my plastic arms snapped ... Does anyone know where/how to get replacements? Thanks ... Please help!