Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Malibu (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/malibu-15/)
-   -   2004 Malibu Classic Rear window issue (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/malibu-15/2004-malibu-classic-rear-window-issue-45336/)

quack332002 September 15th, 2011 9:00 PM

2004 Malibu Classic Rear window issue

Hello... I'm new to this forum.

I have a little problem on my hand with my wife's car. I hope you guys can help.

She drives a 2004 Mailbu Classic. The rear window behind the driver side won't rolling up. I had my mechanic brother looked into it. We ran some test to try and narrow down what was wrong with it.

First thought was a blown window motor/regulator. With a battery jumper we were able to roll the window up and down by tapping into the motor/regulator plug with out any issue. So with that test done, we thought it was the switch. We went out and bought a new switch. We were able to roll the window down but not up. We then checked the fuse and it looks great. My brother is assuming it's might be a ground issue.

My brother said he'll look into it but it's been over a month now so I'm trying to get the ball rolling to see if i can fix it myself.

Any one of you guys ran into this problem before?

Thank you in advance.

quack332002 September 16th, 2011 1:42 PM

anyone?

kevinkpk September 16th, 2011 2:22 PM

Ok, does it roll up with you pulling on it, and switched to roll up? Ground, I doubt as the motor is attached to the regulator, also when it rolls up is it even (front and back) closes ok?

quack332002 September 16th, 2011 11:09 PM

With the switch, the window will only go down. Inorder to roll up the window, we tapped into the regulator plug that connects to the switch with a battery charger. All three other window works fine. It's only the window behind the driver side that won't roll up with the switch.

kevinkpk September 17th, 2011 7:01 AM

Motors are fairly cheap.

quack332002 September 17th, 2011 2:01 PM

if it was a motor issue, who the window have rolled up?

EinST September 18th, 2011 8:48 PM

If by "new switch," we're talking about the left rear window switch, i.e., the switch on the driver side rear door, it gets both the power and ground from the driver window switch, i.e., the master switch. Window rolling down but not up would mean the PPL wire is not getting the ground. If the symptom were consistent with both the master switch and the left rear window switch, the fault would be within the master switch.

Ryemaster September 24th, 2011 1:17 PM

I would say its a ground issue

kevinkpk September 24th, 2011 4:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ryemaster (Post 192964)
I would say its a ground issue

Might be, however the motor is grounded by bolting it to the frame/regulator.

EinST September 24th, 2011 8:32 PM

Please read my post #7 above carefully. The motor is fed power over two wires, one battery voltage and the other, ground, when actuated. The motor winding cannot be electrically grounded through the housing because the motor needs to turn clockwise as well as counterclockwise depending on the power polarity.