Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2006 Chevy Malibu LS giving codes P0106 and P0420

Old November 30th, 2017, 1:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Chevy Malibu LS giving codes P0106 and P0420

My girlfriend's 2006 Chevy Malibu LS 4-cyclinder started giving off the following error codes last week:

https://imgur.com/a/zBNA9

Quick searches point to a bad MAP sensor for the P0106, and possibly a bad catalytic converter for the P0420.

According to my girlfriend, the car's performance has not degraded as far as she can tell.

Before I send her off to our friend's mechanic, does this combination of codes stick out as something obvious to anyone? Will a bad MAP sensor cause a false positive on the cat?

Would it be worth trying to clean it out first and see if that solves it? For example, I found one video that doesn't have nary a comment of the idea being garbage.. Basically says to get the gas tank to a half gallon, add 1 gallon lacquer thinner, and drive it for a while. Or is this simply a bad idea?

Last edited by andrewc513; November 30th, 2017 at 2:20 PM. Reason: More details
Old December 1st, 2017, 1:39 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewc513
My girlfriend's 2006 Chevy Malibu LS 4-cyclinder started giving off the following error codes last week:

https://imgur.com/a/zBNA9

Quick searches point to a bad MAP sensor for the P0106, and possibly a bad catalytic converter for the P0420.

According to my girlfriend, the car's performance has not degraded as far as she can tell.

Before I send her off to our friend's mechanic, does this combination of codes stick out as something obvious to anyone? Will a bad MAP sensor cause a false positive on the cat?

Would it be worth trying to clean it out first and see if that solves it? For example, I found one video that doesn't have nary a comment of the idea being garbage.. Basically says to get the gas tank to a half gallon, add 1 gallon lacquer thinner, and drive it for a while. Or is this simply a bad idea?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5icTmYItwiE
I would not put lacquer thinner down the gas tank. Lacquer thinner is not like gasoline, and you could end up damaging your fuel pump or your fuel injectors easy.

Lacquer thinner is not the same as paint thinner, which is naphthalene. If you are going to use it, I'd wear a respirator and gloves, cause that stuff is toxic as hell.
Old November 20th, 2018, 11:12 AM
CF Beginner

How do I get into the codes on a 2006 Malibu Max. I need the procedure to get the codes? Thought you might be able to help.
Thanks
Bev
Old November 20th, 2018, 4:00 PM
CF Beginner

I just replaced a faulty MAP sensor on my 2004 Malibu Maxx. The symptoms were a bad idle, stalling, and the engine going into limp mode. You would definitely notice that. A bad 02 sensor will affect mileage and what not, so that might not be as noticeable if that is faulty.

Search this Thread