Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Malibu (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/malibu-15/)
-   -   2007 Malibu Maxx Blinker Arm Adjustment Issue (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/malibu-15/2007-malibu-maxx-blinker-arm-adjustment-issue-51433/)

Bob La Londe June 26th, 2012 11:18 AM

2007 Malibu Maxx Blinker Arm Adjustment Issue

The turn signal arm seems to be about of adjustment. Like it moved or slipped in the column somehow. Under normal usage left snaps off the moment you release the arm and right doesn't automatically snap back after turning. If you turn the wheel back and forth far enough you can hear what sounds like a release click even when the signals are off.

The car actually has very few miles (maybe 10K), but teens have been driving it lately.

I can't see how it could be related, but my daughter recently tore off the front bumper by hooking it on a post in a parking lot. It was all damage to plastic and I was able to repair it "mostly" satisfactorily with only a small crease where it rubbed the post showing.

Bob La Londe June 26th, 2012 12:48 PM

Ok... I pulled the switch and its the switch itself that is bad. I looked the switch up on-line and it appears to be a D6253E. I can order it from GMParts Direct for $26.xx or from Amazon for $21.xx. With either can have it in a day or two.

Thinking I might be willing to pay the extra for the switch to have it the same day I called the local dealership parts department. I might have paid the $53.xx they are asking for it, but they say it is "redesigned" and it required a new mounting bracket also bumping the total to about $75. Something just doesn't sound right about this.

Does the "new design" last better than the original. As mentioned before this vehicle has very low miles and it just hasn't seen that much use. Is a new mounting bracket really required?

Chevrolet Customer Service June 26th, 2012 12:56 PM

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Bob La Londe,

There may be something wrong with the turn signal switch assembly. This is just a suggestion, not a diagnosis. I encourage you to have the vehicle inspected by a certified technician for an official diagnosis.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Bob La Londe June 26th, 2012 2:50 PM

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service (Post 219579)
Bob La Londe,

There may be something wrong with the turn signal switch assembly. This is just a suggestion, not a diagnosis. I encourage you to have the vehicle inspected by a certified technician for an official diagnosis.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service

???? :rolleyes:

Yeah, there is something wrong with the signal switch assembly. Its broken internally. A little piece of the plastic CAM snapped off under normal use on a very low mileage vehicle. I understand that its your official position that I am not competent to know that, but by that reasoning I would have never been smart enough to realized it wasn't working properly to begin with. ;)

It was a poor design and GM knows all about it. That's why they redesigned it a couple times since then. They even changed the mounting bracket.

So was the initial problem I have to fix out of my pocket more Delphi incompetence or was this just GM being cheap again?

While I understand the knee jerk response to tell me go pay somebody to tell me something I already know, this is not a hard thing to diagnose. Since GM isn't going to warranty a 2007 model I see no reason to not do a simple part swap myself.

The switch is already ordered. I should have it tomorrow. If I need a different mounting bracket to install it then I will order it. If somebody had answered my question I might have ordered the bracket today too.

Perhaps though, if the only answer is hire a technician then instead of having a forum why not just have a link that goes to a static page that says, "Hire a Techncian." <=== Note the conspicuous absence of a question mark.

Than you for taking the time to make a "reply."

Chevrolet Customer Service June 27th, 2012 9:50 AM

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Bob La Londe,

I apologize, when I responded to your original post, your second post had not shown yet. I didn't realize that you had posted again until after I had responded (browser didn't refresh until after I responded).

I'm happy you were able to find the part to repair the problem. If there are any issues with the part you ordered, or you need assistance with part numbers, now or in the future, please feel free to contact me.

I hope the new switch resolves this issue you for you.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Bob La Londe June 27th, 2012 3:17 PM

On another forum, I did receive a useful reply with a link to a parts diagram along with a suggested part number for the mounting bracket if it turns out that I do actually need that. The bracket is also available from GMPARTS direct (if anybody else needs to know) for about $4 and change plus shipping. Shipping is more than the part. About $13. Amazon did not show that part, but several other on-line vendors did.

scorpion48 August 1st, 2012 10:31 AM

I'm having the same problem

I noticed a few weeks ago when my turn signal switched off it sounded loud and now the left doesn't stay on unless I push it down hard and neither direction switches off. I also hear the sound of the signals switching off when they aren't on. Ordered new signal arm today. Hope it isn't to hard to install, doesn't look to bad from what I have seen in diagrams. '07 Malibu with 60,000 well kept miles on it. Doesn't seem to matter how well you take care of a car these days they just fall apart. Well GMs anyway as I don't have much to compare it to till I trade it off for another brand.:(

scorpion48 August 2nd, 2012 7:37 PM

Just changed mine

Took all of 30 minutes. Works great now!

Bob La Londe August 3rd, 2012 4:46 PM

It was an easy swap, and I could see no need for a new bracket. Works fine. Has been for a while now. My kid had watched me take it apart to find the problem. He took it apart and installed the new switch when it came in. No big deal.

ShawnPollack July 11th, 2013 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bob La Londe (Post 223051)
It was an easy swap, and I could see no need for a new bracket. Works fine. Has been for a while now. My kid had watched me take it apart to find the problem. He took it apart and installed the new switch when it came in. No big deal.

I am agree with Bob la Londe he had good knowledge about the topic and share better advised about the topic.