Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

power steering failure

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2018, 2:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering failure

2006 chevy malibu maxx lt with absolutely no steering assist. it doesn't shake or any thing. its like driving an old manual steering car. there is no light, check engine or warning chime of any kind. iv changed the fuses and one time i pulled and replaced the positive battery terminal and had power steering when first starting for like 5 seconds but have been unable to replicate. any ideas on what this could be?
Old May 5th, 2018, 2:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

both fuses? 80amp in the underhood and 2 amp in the bcm
the codes will be set in the power steering control module. a scan tool that reads chassis codes or C codes is required to access them.
Old May 5th, 2018, 3:26 PM
CF Beginner

Yes both fuses. I am suspecting the torque sensor its like the computer isnt geting any info from it at all could it be alignment
Old June 13th, 2018, 3:47 PM
CF Beginner

Default Recall

There is a recall on this problem with the power steering all you have to do is contact your local dealer I still get the letter in the mail about it II need to to get mine repaired it locks up quite a bit I hope this helps.