Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2001 Malibu / Red Lined Temp Gauge / Stalled / Rattling / Hissing

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2018, 2:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2001 Malibu / Red Lined Temp Gauge / Stalled / Rattling / Hissing

I’ve got a 2001 Malibu with 157k Miles that I’ve been having to feed water too, was trying to limp it til I got my VA check but it didn’t make it.

Tonight on the way to the store, in stop/go traffic it started rattling from the engine bay as the temp neared the red line. It’s never reached the red line before. Once the rattling began the first red light I came to the car stalled. Popped the hood and could hear hissing noise coming from the rear of the engine between the firewall and the engine. I pushed it off the road and it started, with a fight, 20-30 minutes later after it cooled down a bit.

I need help on ideas of what’s wrong. I have some tools. Recent Oil Change done by myself ~200 Miles ago, checked that, still perfect color oil and levels. Coolant Tank is filled.

Any other information needed that might help let me know!
Old May 12th, 2018, 9:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

open the hood and post a video of the noise
-check the oil and trans fluid dipstics for coolant contamination
-any white smoke out the exhaust or bubbles in the coolant surge tank. Does it use a coolant surge tank or coolant reservoir? surge tank has a pressure cap, reservoir has a snap on lid and its not pressurized.
Old May 12th, 2018, 11:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
open the hood and post a video of the noise
-check the oil and trans fluid dipstics for coolant contamination
-any white smoke out the exhaust or bubbles in the coolant surge tank. Does it use a coolant surge tank or coolant reservoir? surge tank has a pressure cap, reservoir has a snap on lid and its not pressurized.
No white smoke as of yet. Car has sat for about 14 hrs so far, just woke up but I will try and get a video up later.
Surge Tank, it's a sealed system 3.1 GM engine
No contamination found yesterday on the oil dipstick, again I'll check when I attempt to recreate the noise.
I didn't check the surge tank for bubbles , that part I actually forgot about.

By your questions I'm assuming you're leaning towards blown head gasket and possibly a warped head.
Old May 13th, 2018, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

it's one posssiblity. Hard to say over the internet. Gotta test things to rule stuff out. cooling system pressure test, compression test are 2 good ones.

what engine is in this vehicle? 3.1L? head gaskets are rare but leaking intake gaskets are common.