Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

3.1L Lifter Replacement

Search this Thread

Old April 6th, 2010, 11:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.1L Lifter Replacement

Greetings all,
My cousin has been offered a 1997-2003 style Malibu. It was diagnosed by a mechanic as having either a bad lifter or bent push rod. It makes a pretty hefty clicking/knocking noise while running. I am a well seasoned driveway mechanic and have no problem pulling the intake, heads etc to fix the problem. My question is does anyone think it's worth a repair vs. putting a low(er) mileage motor in from the junkyard? I wonder if just putting in a new lifter (or lifters) would be sufficient to quiet the problem or can I assume that if a lifter is tapping most likely the lifter bore is also going to be out of spec? (out-of-round or just too large in diameter etc) The cheapest thing to get it on the road would be just to replace the lifter but if there's a good chance the bore is probably shot I will probably just recommend we put in a different engine.
Thanks