Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Car not starting..

Search this Thread

Old June 11th, 2012, 4:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car not starting..

I'm sure this is a common question... I posted earlier about my car not starting. I took it to the dealership. 1 hour after I left it there the car started. They ran tests to find nothing wrong. Three days later after its been running great... No start. No theft or secutiry lamp at all. I don't know what gives. the car computer tester indicates no problems other than a pending p1626 error. I myself still think its a passlock 2 issue. Anyone have simular issues?
Old June 11th, 2012, 5:24 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by rcoonjr
I'm sure this is a common question... I posted earlier about my car not starting. I took it to the dealership. 1 hour after I left it there the car started. They ran tests to find nothing wrong. Three days later after its been running great... No start. No theft or secutiry lamp at all. I don't know what gives. the car computer tester indicates no problems other than a pending p1626 error. I myself still think its a passlock 2 issue. Anyone have simular issues?
Try this, since I don't know what model, turn key on without starting, let it set for 10 minutes or so. Don't turn the key off, but start it. That is supposed to "relearn" the system
Old June 11th, 2012, 6:21 PM
CF Beginner

Chevy Malibu 2001 3.1 ... I just tried to get it to relearn... it won't do it.

My car computer tester comes back qwith 2 error codes.
P1626 Theft Deterrent fuel enable signal lost
P0230 Fuel Pump Primary circuit.

Last edited by rcoonjr; June 11th, 2012 at 6:39 PM.
Old June 11th, 2012, 6:51 PM
CF Monarch

Chevy Malibu 2001 3.1 ... I just tried to get it to relearn... it won't do it.

My car computer tester comes back qwith 2 error codes.
P1626 Theft Deterrent fuel enable signal lost
P0230 Fuel Pump Primary circuit.
Ok have you done anything as far as replacing the battery ect. or key? Pull the theft deterent fuse, and let it set for a few minutes, plug it back in. If that dosen't work unplug battery to reset the ecm.
Old June 11th, 2012, 7:09 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Ok have you done anything as far as replacing the battery ect. or key? Pull the theft deterent fuse, and let it set for a few minutes, plug it back in. If that dosen't work unplug battery to reset the ecm.
I replaced the ignition switch, and key tumbers. I don't see a fuse for the theft deterent. I did just for giggles. do the 2.2k resistor on the yellow and black lines off the passlock 2. IT relearned... but still pops back the second code I get p0230 ...bad fuel pump in tank ?
Old June 11th, 2012, 7:37 PM
CF Beginner

I replaced the ignition switch, and key tumbers. I don't see a fuse for the theft deterent. I did just for giggles. do the 2.2k resistor on the yellow and black lines off the passlock 2. IT relearned... but still pops back the second code I get p0230 ...bad fuel pump in tank ?
I have cleared the dtc's from the computer. Still no start. I only mention fuel pump... but I'm thinking Fuel filter clogged. I don't get any pressure on the fuel rail.
Old June 11th, 2012, 9:24 PM
CF Beginner

Changed fuel filter. It was clogged.... getting some presure on the fuel rail... I still think the theif issue is shutting down the injectors...time to see about getting any codes in the BCM cleared with a real scan tool.
Old June 11th, 2012, 9:42 PM
CF Monarch

Ok, there is a resistor that is in the key that matches a resistor in the switch (ignition). There are I think 15 different resistors on the pass lock 2. If your resistor in your key dosen't match that of the resitor in the switch, problem. There is a two wire connector orange/white wires from the switch. With an ohm meter pull the connector apart, read resistance. There are (I think) 15 different resistance "codes" for pass lock 2. You have to either match the pellet in the key resistor to what the switch is, or terminate the connector (switch end) with a resistor of that value.
Old June 11th, 2012, 10:00 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Ok, there is a resistor that is in the key that matches a resistor in the switch (ignition). There are I think 15 different resistors on the pass lock 2. If your resistor in your key dosen't match that of the resitor in the switch, problem. There is a two wire connector orange/white wires from the switch. With an ohm meter pull the connector apart, read resistance. There are (I think) 15 different resistance "codes" for pass lock 2. You have to either match the pellet in the key resistor to what the switch is, or terminate the connector (switch end) with a resistor of that value.
My key doesn't use the pellet resistor. it uses the magnetic tumbler crap.

Do you think the passlock 2 have the value pre-programmed in the bcm/pcm? even though it learns a different key... its rejecting the new key on the car without being reprogrammed at the dealership? I do have my old lock I can install and re-learn...and maybe try that... Then learn the resistance value on the old key from the tumblers...and match it with resistors..
Old June 28th, 2012, 9:42 PM
CF Beginner

Well I had my car towed to the dealership I can respect. The problem of my car was weird but they figured it out. my BCM failed but was working partially. it could do basic functions but not work with the fuel system. It kept my fuel pump on burning it up... So 600 bucks later I have a working car. New BCM computer, and Fuel pump. Where when I approched a dealership here local they wanted to charge me $450+ for a new key lock, igntion switch.. And they said because they weren't Chevy authorized parts... I'm questioning that one because the key has a Chevy emblem on it... Someone had to get the 'rights' to use that logo on the key.... otherwise Autozone and thier parts distributor has some legal problems... The scary part of the first dealership... they are so well known here in Toledo. But when I mentioned to please check and update any firmware / code on the PCM/BCM computers... they failed to and said 'your car is working perfect sir we didn't find anything wrong' plus they never took care of the recalled turn signal button. where as the other dealership took care of it without me even mentioning it! How about that?

Last edited by rcoonjr; June 28th, 2012 at 9:44 PM.