Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Malibu (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/malibu-15/)
-   -   Major problems with 03 Malibu (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/malibu-15/major-problems-03-malibu-6403/)

marishaw April 3rd, 2007 10:26 PM

Major problems with 03 Malibu

So, I recently bought a used 03 Malibu. I have already had the brakes shoes and pads replaced, the water pump replaced, the tie rods replaced, the wheel bearings replaced and tightened since replacement, and now it'smaking this LOUD popping soundwhen I make a turn. It's so loud I get peopleturning and looking as if i wrecked into somethingwhen it makes the popping sound. So, now I am being told that I need the ball joints and thestruts replaced. I have only had the car 4 1/2 weeks. AreMalibu's just bad cars or did the dealership I bought it from justsell me a badcar? Also, I paid $6500 cash for the car thinking it was in great condition (first car)and I overlooked a few things. It doesn't have the remote, the left front door has been replaced and is a different color silver, it has a pull to the left, and a few other minor things. Was I ripped off? On top of the $6500 I have paid for the car, I have already put $2000 worth of repair work in it (NOT including the $1215.00 to replace the 2 ball joints and 2 struts). My dad says the male salesman took advantage of the fact that I was a woman.

Someone PLEASE reply and tell me what I can do. I have a 2 week old son, and 3 other kids that ride in the car daily and money doesn't grow on trees.

Thanks in advance.

marishaw April 3rd, 2007 10:28 PM

RE: Major problems with 03 Malibu

in addition, it needs new tires..Dad says it has something to do with the wheel bearings or the ball joints or struts. Can't remember which one.

bestharry April 5th, 2007 10:11 AM

HI,
Just to let you know about my experience of about 2 years with Malibu 99'. Its a very reliable and efficient car and had no real major repairs on it ever since. These engines only had one known problem of inlet manifold gasket (which my car may need once) for which they have a new replacement/upgraded part.
As per your description, looks like that there is some ripoff factor but you might find a cheaper place to do this job.I would think of spending about 600$ in total for both struts and balljoints.
Gud luck.

MalibuMaxxSS April 5th, 2007 4:15 PM

my guess....since the door was replaced and painted it was in an accident, Malibus are pretty reliable cars, outside the gasket thing harry mentioned....they do have brake issues, I had a grand am did the same thing, save some time and money and price out after market rotors, the factory ones will warp again. check they had recalls on this a few years ago, thats how I got my grand am done.

as for the popping sound when turning struts should not cause this, ball joint not really either, a bad rack would, get a second opinion on that one. ball joints will make a rattle sound when you hit potholes and stuff... struts will groan and squeek usually.

What is the milage on the car, seems to have lots of issues, for a 03 Malibu,
Also check with the dealer did you buy it from a GM dealer??, they should help you out on some of htis if you did....we would anyhow that is a lot of **** for only 4 mths old

golfer April 6th, 2007 3:48 PM

It's hard to say what's causing the sound could even be a brokensway bar end link or bushings.

btw... marishaw ... did you have a mechanic check the vehicle over before you bought it ?

Well are Malibu's good reliable cars? ...another perspective from owing a 99 since new andcurrently 73k miles...

Intake manifold gasket ( warranty )
steering rack ( warranty )
strut assembly ( warranty )
leaking rear wheel brake cylinders ( warranty )

sever engine knock ( dreaded piston slap )
transmission
front hubs ( ABS sensor ) issues
leaky transaxle seals
rotors warping
multifunction switch
water pump
rust
A/C failure

These are the items within five years .

marishaw April 13th, 2007 5:12 PM

Spent $250 getting the ball joints replaced but it still makes the same popping sound. I originally had the car inspected at Midas who at first thought it was the wheel bearing, had that tightened up and that wasnt it. So, they said maybe the tie rods which I had replaced as well and it still made that sound. So, the said it was definitely the ball joints or the struts. So, I took it to a different mechanic and they said the struts were fine but the right ball joint was horrible and the left one was going bad as well, so they replaced them both. 20 minutes after repair the car started popping again. I took it to Midas who said the bal joints were replaced (DUH!!) and said 'it's the struts!'

I've about had it with this car.

Anyone want to trade, I'd take a reliable hoopty at this point! I've got kids, I cant be riding around in an unsafe car.

marishaw April 13th, 2007 5:13 PM

85,000 miles on it...

ace6121966 April 15th, 2007 1:44 AM

my strut/springs pop when i turn left or right

marishaw April 15th, 2007 5:16 PM

Struts are relatively expensive. Can anyone be absolutely positive that its the STRUTS causing this problem? Pleaserespond as soon as possible,alsohow muchshould something like this cost?Midas is saying 600 for the 2 front struts and that is NOT including the labor.

Thanks.

golfer April 16th, 2007 10:00 AM

ORIGINAL: marishaw

Struts are relatively expensive. Can anyone be absolutely positive that its the STRUTS causing this problem? Pleaserespond as soon as possible,alsohow muchshould something like this cost?Midas is saying 600 for the 2 front struts and that is NOT including the labor.

Thanks.
No ... we can't be absolutely positive ... it's the internet we're not there to see and hear the problem.

$600 without labor sounds too expensive to me.