Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Metal shavings

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2019, 6:41 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I'd suggest looking into oil filters, not just the brand. Anti-spill back, pleats, area, ect. There is alot of information about filters, I won't post about Fram.
Old February 10th, 2019, 8:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update *****

on Tuesday I got my car back from a second GM dealership who could find no issues with the vehicle.

After speaking with my mechanic he said there was no way there was an issue with the engine let alone large chucks of metal in the oil. He asked me to bring the car to him ad he’d look at what the sea said. He did an oil change found no metal on the magnetic oil plug or in the oil ( he even filtered the oil). The vehicle was hooked up to diagnostics computer and all engine outputs were well within there respective ranges.

I’ve driven the vehicle since Tuesday and see no issues. Fingers crossed this issue has rectified itself. The second dealership said if the anti theft code comes up again to have the car brought back and they can assess it then.
Old August 1st, 2020, 4:12 PM
CF Beginner

Hi Ryan
I just came upon your post and was wondering how did the issue turned out eventually ?
I'm asking because I own a chevy Malibu 2014 and have had the same issues exactly. Same as in your case I was told to replace the engine, but after consulting with another mechanic I had the oil filter replace and the oil cleaned.
The mechanic also told me that it is possible that the engine shavings might come back in the near future
Old August 1st, 2020, 7:56 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Yaniv Menuhin
Hi Ryan
I just came upon your post and was wondering how did the issue turned out eventually ?
I'm asking because I own a chevy Malibu 2014 and have had the same issues exactly. Same as in your case I was told to replace the engine, but after consulting with another mechanic I had the oil filter replace and the oil cleaned.
The mechanic also told me that it is possible that the engine shavings might come back in the near future

haven’t had an issue in over a year. I had to have a sensor replaced, which was the reason the engine was stopping in the first place it turns out.

good luck with yours.
Old August 3rd, 2020, 3:46 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Ryan, glad to hear, hopefully it will turn out the same ....