Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Instrument Cluster Problems

Search this Thread

Old August 13th, 2018, 10:05 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster Problems

We have a 2010 Malibu 4 cylinder we bought brand new.
The cluster went blank along with the gear selector light
First thing we did was to check Battery connections and the fuses, there is a cluster fuse in the truck and another one inside the car, they were OK. Tightened batt cables. Nothing.
Someone said the dimmer switch has caused some issues, so we got the plug off the dimmer switch and put it back on and yea the cluster came back to life, two days later it went blank again, I thought perhaps the cluster plug itself was dirty and took the dash apart, got the cluster out, unplugged and plugged it in a few times, turned the key on, the cluster came back to life. Cleaned all the connections with Deoxit Contact Cleaner and put everything back together, 4 days later it went blank again, the battery was the original that came with the car when we bought it new, so we got a new battery yesterday, installed that and the cluster came back to life again, this morning while the wife was driving to work the cluster went blank again.
What now?????
Old August 13th, 2018, 1:15 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Bilito
We have a 2010 Malibu 4 cylinder we bought brand new.
The cluster went blank along with the gear selector light
First thing we did was to check Battery connections and the fuses, there is a cluster fuse in the truck and another one inside the car, they were OK. Tightened batt cables. Nothing.
Someone said the dimmer switch has caused some issues, so we got the plug off the dimmer switch and put it back on and yea the cluster came back to life, two days later it went blank again, I thought perhaps the cluster plug itself was dirty and took the dash apart, got the cluster out, unplugged and plugged it in a few times, turned the key on, the cluster came back to life. Cleaned all the connections with Deoxit Contact Cleaner and put everything back together, 4 days later it went blank again, the battery was the original that came with the car when we bought it new, so we got a new battery yesterday, installed that and the cluster came back to life again, this morning while the wife was driving to work the cluster went blank again.
What now?????
Replace cluster dimmer switch.
Old August 13th, 2018, 3:08 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Replace cluster dimmer switch.
Hi Oil Can

How sure are you about the dimmer switch ?? What does the dimmer do with relation to the cluster other then dimming the lights?

My wife just went out and disconnected and then reconnected the battery and the cluster lit up and is working again, thought this piece of info might help.

Last edited by Bilito; August 13th, 2018 at 3:29 PM.
Old August 14th, 2018, 10:20 AM
CF Monarch

Hi Oil Can

How sure are you about the dimmer switch ?? What does the dimmer do with relation to the cluster other then dimming the lights?

My wife just went out and disconnected and then reconnected the battery and the cluster lit up and is working again, thought this piece of info might help.
What can happen is that if the dimmer switch is bad, disconnecting the battery allows it to cool down and work....but only for awhile.

Heck, the correct ACDelco switch is only $22 USD. No car ever made was perfect, and things wear out, just as we humans do.

Am I positive that that is your problem? No, but I am pretty good at guessing with the information I have at hand. You could pull it,
put it on a bench test with a multi-meter, if that would save you some money. Me I'd chuck it and put the new dimmer in.
Old August 14th, 2018, 10:36 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info, goona get a new switch.
Old August 22nd, 2018, 4:23 PM
CF Beginner

Update,, got the new instrument cluster dimmer switch on Mon Aug 20, installed same day, instrument cluster working, now it is wed evening aug 22 and cluster is still working , wife reports the lights are much brighter. looks like the dimmer switch was the problem.
Old August 23rd, 2018, 6:48 AM
CF Beginner

Last update, Switch still working on the ride to work, no further updates unless something happens, it appears that the instrument cluster switch was the culprit. The hardest part of the job was figuring how to get the switch out of the hidden brackets once the dash was opened up and we could access the switch, there is three torx screws to remove and once they are out and the bracket is off the dash it took us a while to find the hidden snaps that hold the switch in place on that bracket. New switch was pushed in and click, it was in place.
Old August 27th, 2018, 5:10 AM
CF Beginner

IT"S DEAD AGAIN,

Wife got in the car this morning, instrument Cluster dead, we did not use it over the weekend so it appears the dimmer switch was not the problem.
Calling on all you Chevy guys, what else controls the power to the instrument cluster???? it all goes dead. Nothing works The panel is black, we disconnected and reconnected the Brand New Battery this morning hoping against hope that would cure the issue.

Everything else in the car works, it is as if the instrument cluster panel is disconnected, now what can cause that????

Frustrated in Miami........
Old August 28th, 2018, 2:49 PM
CF Beginner

Thuis is frustrating, I have a problem and no one seems to be able to help me diagnose it.
I can order a rebuilt instrument cluster from the local auto parts store for around 150 or so plus a 100 core charge, the cluster is rebuilt by Dorman products.
The problem is I want to be sure that is the problem before I spend 150 for a part that may or may not fix the problem
The dimmer switch did not fix the problem
does anyone have any ideas?
Old August 28th, 2018, 5:42 PM
CF Monarch

Thuis is frustrating, I have a problem and no one seems to be able to help me diagnose it.
I can order a rebuilt instrument cluster from the local auto parts store for around 150 or so plus a 100 core charge, the cluster is rebuilt by Dorman products.
The problem is I want to be sure that is the problem before I spend 150 for a part that may or may not fix the problem
The dimmer switch did not fix the problem
does anyone have any ideas?
Sorry that your instrument panel is still giving you trouble, Bilito. I can only add that intermittent problems like yours, are difficult to diagnose. Might be a wiring issue or a bad ground, but frankly I simply dont know. It may be a defective unit too.

If you go the rebuild route I wouldn't use Dorman. They are okay for small parts, but they too can also fail. I am in no way affiliated with D&D Instruments, who happen to be one of the sponcers .of this forum, and have not yet had reason to use thier services, but if I did I would choose them over a Dorman rebuild. https://ddinstruments.com/auto-cluster-repair/

Last edited by oilcanhenry; August 28th, 2018 at 5:45 PM.