Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Overheating!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2010, 9:44 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fans come on, I have disconnected the hoses to the radiator and ran water through it, I have ran water through the entire cooling system 3 times. I took it all apart again and checked the thermostat just to make sure that it was in properly, (this is a new thermostat I just installed a couple of days ago) I was pretty sure it was opening like it was suppose too, because I could sit in the car and watch the temp gauge and it would heat up then I would see the needle drop some, indicating the thermostat was working. Pulled both hoses off of the heater core and ran water through it, no clog. Installed new water pump today. Now I don't know if I am bleeding it properly or long enough, How do you know if all of the air is out and that there are no air pockets left? And you are right there is no heat control valve on this car.
Old April 20th, 2010, 7:19 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fill the coolant up with the bleeder open. Close the bleeder run the car with the rad cap off until the cooling fan comes on and off 2 times. If it starts to overheat turn it off and open the bleeder when air stops coming out close and run it some more.
Just because water comes out the bottom of the rad it does not mean that it is not restricted. That is not a real test as it may not flow through the entire rad or fast enough. The proper way to test would be to make sure the rad is equal in temp all the way around.

Last edited by MDTAHOE; April 20th, 2010 at 7:21 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 8:35 PM
CF Junior Member

After replacing the water pump, I took it apart again and took out the thermostat and drove the car and it didn't overheat. I am going to put the thermostat back in and see if it overheats or not. At this point I think it must have been the water pump. Even though it was not leaking and the propeller was turning or at least would turn by hand. I dropped the thermostat into some boiling water and it did open, took it out and it closed, put it back in the water and it opened, so it was or now is working. Thanks for the help, I know I can always count on you guys for help and I really appreciate it.
Old May 19th, 2010, 1:00 PM
CF Junior Member

ok, new problem, It appears that I lost all of my antifreeze on the way home from work it was coming out of the over flow, let it cool off, put water in it started back up and drove it until it died, on the exit ramp, did not show the car was getting hot, just died. Got out checked the holding tank, empty. Filled it back up with water, let it cool off, and now it won't start, turns over like its going to but won't. Acts like it does when the fuel pump don't work, acts like it is out of gas, but its not. Any Ideas?
Old May 19th, 2010, 8:40 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Blown Head Gasket. If it is pushing coolant out then there would be no coolant on the temp sensor so it would not show overheating.
Old May 21st, 2010, 2:03 AM
CF Junior Member

That is exactly what I thought. I can't believe I didn't see it sooner. I really thought Thermostat? But I do have another question for you. I have seen these products on line and then others tell me that they are in the stores. It is like some kind of liquid steel that seals the gasket when it reaches the right temp. Do you know anything about this stuff?
It sounds good enough, but I have only talked with one person that actually used it and they were happy with the results.
But what my biggest concern now is, the car will not start. Would the blown head gasket keep the spark plugs from firing? I am thinking maybe they have gotten wet and are keeping it from starting, any ideas?
Also that stuff that you just pour in the radiator to seal the gasket has to be done while the car is running, so at this point I couldn't put it in anyways.
Then someone else was telling me today that the main computer is probably not working correctly, so I don't know about that, it seems to be working, the car just is not firing, its trying to start, what do you think?
Old May 21st, 2010, 7:16 AM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

When the headgasket is shot you lose compression. IF the headgasket sealer would work the car has to be running to circulate it through the cooling system.
Old May 21st, 2010, 9:05 AM
CF Junior Member

Right, So it looks like I am going to have to pay someone to tear it down and replace the gasket for me, or do some major study and do it my self. It don't really seem that hard, its just takes time to remove all of the parts to get to it, Huh. Thanks a lot for your help.
Old June 13th, 2010, 5:11 PM
CF Junior Member

The mechanic found out what was causing the no start, a loose wire going to one of the relays. Car starts fine now, I would have never found that one. I had changed all of the relays but never considered checking the wiring going to them. Getting the head gasket fixed now, so hopefully be back on the road real soon, Thanks alot for all of your input and help.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 11:35 PM
CF Junior Member

I knew it! I should have just done it my self! when will I ever learn? Got the head gasket fixed, but now the car sounds awful, tick tick tick, click, click, click, it wasn't making any noise before. So either he has put the push rods in the wrong places, or who knows what? which means the rocker arms are out of adjustment too, and I probably bent the rods driving it home. He said I think there was a couple of the rods different lenghts, I said, you, THINK!
Ok, I am tearing it down, wish me luck, and I am trying to read every resource I can find to make sure I do it right, but feel free to throw what ever advice you can my way, I don't think I could hurt it at this point, well I am hoping not.

Quick Reply: Overheating!!!!!!!