Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Overheating!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The exhaust and intake push rods are a different length. I saw a guy put them in in the wrong place before, it will not even start. It bends half the push rods while cranking.
Old July 25th, 2010, 12:30 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, thats bad, Huh. Mine started alright but it is making a clicking noise, I am hoping that the rocker arms just need adjusting, I took off the front cover and they were just clicking all over the place, they were loose enough that they were moving and vibrating all over them selves. I am going to get one of those feeler gauges and use it to adjust them, I should be able to tell a big difference by the sound that it is making. The back cover I noticed wasn't even bolted down, only having one side bolted down right. The guy wanted to keep it and see if he could fix it, but I was afraid to let him, He just wasn't to sure of himself, and I was less sure of him.
Old July 25th, 2010, 9:56 AM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, that's all I can say. It must not have been done at a shop. I sure there will be alot more things messed up based on what you are saying.
Old July 26th, 2010, 2:41 AM
CF Junior Member

No, not done at a shop, but just like always, they thought they knew what they were doing, but I have had bad experiences with shops and just pay alot more for them. That is exactly why I started working on them myself. Ya I thought I was doing this guy a favor by giving him the work, and here I am. I did find some stuff missing while I was tearing it down, just little stuff like bolts that need to be there, that are not now, you know things like that. I ripped probably 10 foot of wiring out of it that for what ever reason he had used to rerouted my fans, that didn't need rerouting, so I have them wired back up the correct way. A couple of things now have black tape on them that didn't before, so I will have to replace those parts, nothing expensive just a little aggravating, its like what the fjajireu ! I think alot of the bolts like the ones going to the alternator I could turn with my hand, Great, Huh I haven't gotten it quite all the way torn down yet, for having to stop and fix the other needless repairs along the way, but almost there, If I get there and find them rods bent, I am going to go RAMBO on him, He probably won't want to be my friend anymore after that, so I am hoping that is not the case.
My husband offered to help me, but I told him the best thing to do right now was stay away from me and the car while I am working on it, that way I won't try and blame him for something and it just makes it that much harder when someone else is trying to help, you don't know what they have done and what they haven't, and you can't find any of the tools, parts, or bolts that you need, I don't know it just totally throws me off either I have to do it or they have to, I don't try and fix his truck for him. Anyways I do appreciate your advise and help and Ill let you know how it turns out, keep your fingers crossed.
Old July 26th, 2010, 7:30 PM
CF Junior Member

Okay, now I am a little confused. I checked the Chilton and it does not say, so I have checked different resources on the net, and have come up with conflicting answers.

2000 Chevy Malibu- Push rod order?

The answers I found were:

Long rods on Highest ones

High ones are the Intake Valve

Intake are the short ones

Exhaust are the longer rods

So you see the problem I am having. So if anyone can help that would so great.