Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Reprogramming the chip or Performance Tune.

Search this Thread

Old June 17th, 2009, 2:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reprogramming the chip or Performance Tune.

How or where do I find a tuner to reprogram the computer chip in my car?

Tuners that hard to find in Maine?

Can anyone tell me with some degree of certainty what the best (safest I guess) chip reprograming service is?

If I get this done I hope it won't stress other systems in my car.

Oh yes, the car is a 2006 Malibu SS sedan ..in black and 15000 miles. This is still under warranty.

Would reprogramming possitively void the warranty of almost anything mechanical in the engine?

What has led me to research this and seek it is that since I bought the car the initial acceleration has always been just jerky. I know the car has some power but it seems impossible to accelerate smoothly - neck jerking every time. My wife and I hate it. The dealer said "well it's a big engine in a little car" and that nothing was wrong. I bet it needs reprogramming but I'd just as soon go for a performance tune if I can find someone I can trust to do it.
Old June 17th, 2009, 5:24 AM
Impala Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Newad
How or where do I find a tuner to reprogram the computer chip in my car?

Tuners that hard to find in Maine?

Can anyone tell me with some degree of certainty what the best (safest I guess) chip reprograming service is?

If I get this done I hope it won't stress other systems in my car.

Oh yes, the car is a 2006 Malibu SS sedan ..in black and 15000 miles. This is still under warranty.

Would reprogramming possitively void the warranty of almost anything mechanical in the engine?

What has led me to research this and seek it is that since I bought the car the initial acceleration has always been just jerky. I know the car has some power but it seems impossible to accelerate smoothly - neck jerking every time. My wife and I hate it. The dealer said "well it's a big engine in a little car" and that nothing was wrong. I bet it needs reprogramming but I'd just as soon go for a performance tune if I can find someone I can trust to do it.
Should be able to find a company to tune it, and it will void your warranty, unless you buy an aftermarket pcm
Old June 19th, 2009, 1:08 AM
CF Beginner

Did some self education on this. There are some good companies that will tune your chip OR send you a new one. What kind of garage will install this? I'd feel much better finding someone to do it who knows what therye doing ..and that I can trust.

I was looking for a performance tune shop ..? That sound like the right approach? I'm not much of a gear head.