Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Malibu (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/malibu-15/)
-   -   VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!! (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/malibu-15/very-dangerous-reduced-engine-power-issue-62499/)

rtkeane123 January 21st, 2015 10:01 AM

Has happened 3 times in 2010 Malibu

My 74 yoear old mother in law who is not able to walk very far due to a variety of issues has had this happen 3 times since she bought a 2010 Malibeu from a GM dealer about 7 months ago. It's a CPO car so the repairs have been covered but she has been stranded on the highway and has had to have it towed to the dealer each time. This means my wife has to drop what she is doing and drive to pick her mother up. The dealer comes up with a new story each tiime they fix it. Throttle body parts seem to be the theme but the problem keeps coming back so either they are guessing or GM doesn't want to fix the real problem (whatever that is) because it's too expensive.

The reason we helped her buy a newer vehicle was dependability but her 97 Bonneville was more dependable than this. It's too dangerous to have someone of her age making repeated emergency manuvers on a 70mph highway in a city environment (Grand Rapids MI). I hate lawyers but if this doesn't get fixed right im sure there will be wrongful death suits coming for GM

sledge.impy January 21st, 2015 3:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ld0008 (Post 293075)
I just has the same thing happen to me. I was driving on the post road in ct and the car began to shake and the reduce power light came on and then there was a message about traction. The car slowed down from 40 to 10 mph. THIS IS SCARY AND DANGEROUS. I am calling dealer now to get it in today. Does Chevy corporate know about this problem. Someone is going to get hurt. I hope they will fix my car at little or no cost.

The vehicle is functioning as designed when it encounters an issue.

Nhudson1 January 21st, 2015 7:03 PM

2011 Chevy Malibu

I just began having the same issue this evening on my commute home my traction light came on followed by the engine power reduced light it happened sporadically... So scary what is the cause of this I stay in Michigan it's winter and here I am on the side of the shoulder with cars flying past me at 70 mph why haven't Chevy recalled this issue!!!!!

sledge.impy January 22nd, 2015 1:57 PM

Originally Posted by Nhudson1 (Post 293724)
I just began having the same issue this evening on my commute home my traction light came on followed by the engine power reduced light it happened sporadically... So scary what is the cause of this I stay in Michigan it's winter and here I am on the side of the shoulder with cars flying past me at 70 mph why haven't Chevy recalled this issue!!!!!

Because it is expected behavior when experiencing a malfunction!!!!!! GET YOUR CAR FIXED !!

Jaybird1189 January 22nd, 2015 10:50 PM

I am absolutely amazed over how many people have been having the same issue. A friend of mine had something similar happen in her Malibu, unbelievable, what a bad day to have that happen when someone behind you is driving a 2010 corolla with the accelerator problem...

Is it just me or are all of these electronics getting absurdly scary in terms of the issues that arise from some of these systems?

I might have to stick with carbs and no ABS or stability assist etc...DBW and all this other bull is just an accident waiting happen when a small piece of silicone slipped by QC and causes your car to suddenly stop on the highway.

Joselyn99 January 23rd, 2015 8:24 PM

Engine power reduced also

I own a 2010 Chevy Malibu with 73,000 miles and started experiencing these same problems in early December. The issue was sporadic at first and when I turned off the vehicle it seemed to resolve the issue and then it drove fine. The last two weeks it has happened more frequently. My husband looked online and saw that there was a recall that seemed to describe the issues I was having so he made an appointment and took it in to the dealership but the wiring they replaced did nothing to fix the issue. I have has it two days and it did the same thing again today. Just like everyone else here I don't have money to waste on needless repairs and I don't feel safe in this vehicle . I would hope that by now GM would have some answers for its customers. I plan to file a complaint with NHTSA and encourage everyone else on the forum to do so. I can't wait until I can trade this lemon!

Joselyn99 January 23rd, 2015 8:33 PM

Originally Posted by Itocz02000 (Post 292762)
I have a 2011 malibu and
I had the same thing happen to me, but one thing before it happen was different from you. I had replaced a fuse for my rear defroster the morning befor it happen, the fuse had burnt so bad that it melted the plastic, I thought wow ok now I have a rear defroster yay!!! Well not yay! That evening I was driving and it happened! :( yes all the bells and whistles lo ding ding, message after message.. I called my brother and he said take out the fuse for the rear defroster, I was like huh! Um ok so I did, and that fixed my problem. It appears that the throttle body is connected to the fuse box and I have a short in the one to the rear defroster, that's why the fuse was melted! When I put the new fuse in it sent the bad signals and stopped my car! I hope this helps anyone having this issue :)

What a relief because I just spent 1200$ for a new fuel pump last month. New cars are made cheap and don't last as long as they used to.

Have you had any issues since this repair? Thinking I might start here.

chmizell January 24th, 2015 6:35 PM

has anyone found the problem. I am now afraid to drive this car

jbell1115 January 25th, 2015 12:23 AM

• GM Recall #:
  • N130036

• NHTSA Recall #:
  • 14V252

• Date Issued:
  • May 16, 2014

Recall Title:
BRAKE LAMP MALFUNCTION
Recall Description:
General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in 2004-2012 Malibu, 2004-2007 Malibu Maxx, 2005-2010 Pontiac G6, 2007-2010 Saturn Aura vehicles. On these vehicles, over time an increased resistance can develop in the Body Control Module (BCM) connection system and result in voltage fluctuations or intermittency in the Brake Apply Sensor (BAS) circuit that can cause service brake lamp malfunction. As a result, the service brake lamps may illuminate when the service brakes are not being applied, or may not illuminate when the service brakes are being applied. Additionally, cruise control may not engage. If cruise control is engaged, additional service brake pedal travel may be required to disengage it. Service brake pedal application may not be required to move the shift lever out of PARK, or additional service brake pedal travel may be required to move the shift lever out of PARK. Traction control, electronic stability control, and panic braking assist features, if equipped, may be disabled. Service ESC and/or Traction Control tell-tales may illuminate with this condition.
Safety Risk Description:
These conditions may increase the risk of a crash.
Repair Description:
Dealers are to attach the wiring harness to the BCM with a spacer, apply dielectric lubricant to both the BCM and harness connector and on the BAS and harness connector, and relearn the brake pedal home position free of charge.
<hr> Recall Status: INCOMPLETE

mugenk8 February 4th, 2015 9:04 AM

Is this a common occurrence?... Yes I have a Chevy HHR 2011 and I am experiencing this thing. On my way to work I typically drive at the speeds of 65 to 70 and out of nowhere the came start sputtering significant engine loss and on the HUD I view SERVICE ENGINE LIGHT, SERVICE ESC, and other things (can't remember them all lol) I have taken the vehicle to a Chevy Dealership they gave me the run around. This change my view dramatically on all Chevy vehicles. At the end of the day I still had the issue, I didn't receive any customer service at the dealership. I hope this forum thread is taken notice if anyone is attempting to purchase one. DON'T !!!!