Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2015, 12:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jpatterson0201
I've been experiencing this problem for a while now but just in the past few weeks has it been quitting on me. I took to the Chevy dealership to get checked & it was confirmed it is the throttle sensor. If this is a common problem why won't Chevrolet issue a recall? This is a very dangerous thing happening. I don't think it's fair for consumers to hafta pay for the repair if EVERYONE eventually has the issue.
Well like ladydriver123 said, it didn't fix NOTHING ..

So why would there be a 'recall' on a wear and tear item?
Old February 17th, 2015, 6:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I hope they can recall. I spent almost 800$ already and I dont have anymore money to spend. Poor starving student. Had to borrow this from my parents. And I am not in the position to sell the car or have the credit to get another one. Considering I am in Detroit and live in motorcity headquarters, hoping they can do something like a recall.
Please someone advocate for a recall !!
Old February 17th, 2015, 7:28 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ladydriver23
Yes I hope they can recall. I spent almost 800$ already and I dont have anymore money to spend. Poor starving student. Had to borrow this from my parents. And I am not in the position to sell the car or have the credit to get another one. Considering I am in Detroit and live in motorcity headquarters, hoping they can do something like a recall.
Please someone advocate for a recall !!
Good morning, I live in Detroit and same thing happened with my 2011 Malibu (I posted here last month) ! Took it to Chevy dealer on Jefferson and they replaced the throttle body - cost around $482 & and it's been almost 2 months with no issues ! I'm betting you're experiencing it also due to the extreme deep freeze weather which is when my problem started ( deep freeze of last January -but then it stopped for the rest of the year and started again in January of this year ) . I also filed a complaint with the NHTSA !
Old February 17th, 2015, 12:51 PM
CF Beginner

Couldn't agree more with you. This has all been a constant problem for me and my 2010 Chevy Equinox. It is not safe at all. Our vehicles are too new to have such serious issues like this to be happening. I'm a first time Chevy owner and was really looking forward to joining the club and experiencing it, but I couldn't be more disappointed with the execution. Chevy needs to get their s*** together and do some recalls.
Old February 18th, 2015, 8:00 AM
CF Beginner

Default Reduced Power light coming on

I am also having trouble with my 2011 Malibu. Reduced power light comes on and it will not start. I love Chevy, I hope they get a handle on this problem.
Old February 18th, 2015, 4:17 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs down Throttle Body assembly issue

Today - much to my surprise - I had to have my throttlebody assembly replaced on my 2011 Chevy equinox LT. Had not had a problem at all until first thing this morning. Engine light came on as soon as I left the driveway and went into reduced power mode, stabilitrak message appeared, then the vehicle lost all power and would not move forward. After turning off the vehicle and waited 5 minutes or so, the vehicle started and I was able to get back home (maybe a 10th of a mile).
Vehicle had to be towed to dealership 45 miles away.
Anyway, $750 later the throttle body assembly was replaced, fuel optimizer service to clean valves and all, I was on my way.
!I buy Shell gasoline 9 out of 10 fill ups, my car is garage kept, I travel mainly highways,... When speaking with the tech, these are "Chevy/GM recommended" factors. One would think it should keep something like this from happening, so.... Reading this forum there have been many cases of this defect/issue.
Maybe it is a larger issue. I'm glad I didn't make it too far from my home!
Old February 18th, 2015, 7:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default Upset with power loss in car

Had this happen to me today for the first time ever, it's at the dealership now trying to see what is wrong with it. Hope it's not that pricey I bought it brand new in 08 from Chevy dealer so maybe they will help me with this, or may just leave Chevy if they won't help me. It was on the highway so yes very scary.
Old February 18th, 2015, 7:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kmj723
Today - much to my surprise - I had to have my throttlebody assembly replaced on my 2011 Chevy equinox LT. Had not had a problem at all until first thing this morning. Engine light came on as soon as I left the driveway and went into reduced power mode, stabilitrak message appeared, then the vehicle lost all power and would not move forward. After turning off the vehicle and waited 5 minutes or so, the vehicle started and I was able to get back home (maybe a 10th of a mile).
Vehicle had to be towed to dealership 45 miles away.
Anyway, $750 later the throttle body assembly was replaced, fuel optimizer service to clean valves and all, I was on my way.
!I buy Shell gasoline 9 out of 10 fill ups, my car is garage kept, I travel mainly highways,... When speaking with the tech, these are "Chevy/GM recommended" factors. One would think it should keep something like this from happening, so.... Reading this forum there have been many cases of this defect/issue.
Maybe it is a larger issue. I'm glad I didn't make it too far from my home!
What are you getting at ? Your choice of fuel does not have any effect on your throttle body.

You don't mention if you have the 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder. Either way, both have direct injection. No more port or TBI. the fuel is sprayed into the cylinder directly.

So yes, electronics do go bad, and the electric throttle body is no exception.
Old February 19th, 2015, 9:54 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by sledge.impy
What are you getting at ? Your choice of fuel does not have any effect on your throttle body.

You don't mention if you have the 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder. Either way, both have direct injection. No more port or TBI. the fuel is sprayed into the cylinder directly.

So yes, electronics do go bad, and the electric throttle body is no exception.
She's getting at the fact that this is bull**** for Chevy to know that this is a constant problem with their vehicles. Why are you so salty in every comment you ever make? Seriously, grow up *******.
Old February 19th, 2015, 10:05 AM
CF Beginner

Default Fuel does matter

Actually fuel matters. We were asked to put the best fuel in it from now on by the dealer when they replaced the throttle body. They said something to do with keeping the engine running more smoothly. At this rate, I could go get a German car where I could put in the highest performing fuel. I really am proud of American cars, and would never dream of driving a non-American car.
GM : Please do something about this. I don't care if its a wear/tear issue. Even after the throttle body is being replaced at the dealership, I got the alert 'Power Reduced' four hours away on the highway from home. I reduced the speed to 45mph on the highway, said my prayers, and drove leaving the rest in God's hands. VERY UNFAIR to feel this unsafe on the road.

Quick Reply: VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!