Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2015, 9:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mugenk8
Is this a common occurrence?... Yes I have a Chevy HHR 2011 and I am experiencing this thing. On my way to work I typically drive at the speeds of 65 to 70 and out of nowhere the came start sputtering significant engine loss and on the HUD I view SERVICE ENGINE LIGHT, SERVICE ESC, and other things (can't remember them all lol) I have taken the vehicle to a Chevy Dealership they gave me the run around. This change my view dramatically on all Chevy vehicles. At the end of the day I still had the issue, I didn't receive any customer service at the dealership. I hope this forum thread is taken notice if anyone is attempting to purchase one. DON'T !!!!
ditto here mugen - i was going to drive to Detroit yesterday - glad i didn't as it happened to me on a main road, but only going 45 mph - thankfully i was able to pull off the road safely...one of the other error messages was something about the traction.
Old March 3rd, 2015, 9:29 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mdjm9
I have the same issue with my 2001 Malibu. It only happens when the temps are under 25 degrees. I do not know what to do. I am a single mother with one vehicle. My car does not start anymore since this morning! My child is at day care and I am at work. No family anywhere in the near vicinity. I called the dealer that I purchased it from and NO help at all. Engine Power Reduced/ESC Off/traction
I figured my 2011 HHR was malfunctioning from the cold too (below 0) - then yesterday it happened and it was in the low 30s.
Old March 4th, 2015, 8:16 AM
CF Beginner

Good Morning, I have a 2010 Black Chevy Equinox

It just happened to me this morning as I was "warming up" my car to come to work. It started fine, but 2 minutes into it on, it started shaking and the "Engine Power is Reduced" message came on. Then "Service Stabili Trak" message came on. I put the car in reverse and it didn't move at all. I then pressed the gas pedal a lil harder and it moved. I got to work (which is less than 2 miles from home) and the car didn't go past 12mph no matter how much or how hard I pressed the gas pedal. I called my Chevy Dealer and he was quick to say "I don't know what that means, but ok I'll get you prices" ???? Really???? How you going to get prices if you don't know what's wrong with my car yet? I've had enough either with the car (not to mention, I have gone to the dealer 5 times since December 29th that the "seatbelt" alert doesn't shut up even when I have it on!) or with this dealership. Someone please help and direct me to the right people.
Old March 4th, 2015, 12:11 PM
CF Beginner

So I took my traverse in today. We are in Maine, and my mechanic is somewhat familiar with this. He cleaned the air intake system & pcv system. He said the lines were full of condensation which flips the computer system. It cost me $147. I'm crossing my fingers that this is the answer. Just thought I'd share this will all of you. Good luck!!
Old March 4th, 2015, 4:18 PM
CF Beginner

Default malibu throttle body

Is it safe to drive about 35 miles on a bad throttle body?
Old March 5th, 2015, 7:56 AM
CF Beginner

Default Reduce Engine power

I HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY TRUCK I HAVE FIXED PROBLEM I Replaced the modal on pedal and the one under hood now my truck runs like it did in on when I drove it off the lot .First check all grounds and clips make sure they are clear of dabree and moisture. I had codes ran and replaced both modules on pedal and on motor it cost me about 250 in parts if that advanced auto part has the parts cheep replaced them both and now my truck is a beast again .hope this helps don't go to dealer they will just give u the runaround they wanted to change the throutel body wire cluster for 650.00$ it is not that .

Originally Posted by marciejayne
I have had the same issue with my 2011 Equinox. Last winter it happened several times. Each time I left the motor off for about 10 minutes, then had no more issues when the weather warmed. 3 different dealerships told me to bring it in the next time it happened - and just drive it in, don't turn off the motor. I live in a rural area. I cannot drive the car at 10 mph for 150 miles to the nearest dealership. All 3 told me to not bother to bring it in unless I was having the problem. Monday, it was 19 degrees here. And, it happened again while I was driving 75 mph on the Interstate with a truck behind me. VERY SCARY. I still have no answer from anyone.
Old March 6th, 2015, 8:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same issue

My car does the same thing. It started and it was exactly what one of the many recalls examined. Took it in still happens. It is dangerous and one day people are fining to die and its all Chevys fault. This is a recall. It's lemon cars when it happens to this many people and no one can fix it. They don't know what it is. And to top it off the answer they offered T the dealer. Buy a new car!!! Never ever another Chevy.
Old March 8th, 2015, 6:03 PM
CF Beginner

Default Reduced Eng Pwr

Is there anything being done about this issue. I'm sure the Chevy support team knows this is happening. Have they contacted anyone?

Last edited by Lil_Juju; March 8th, 2015 at 6:06 PM.
Old March 9th, 2015, 12:01 PM
CF Beginner

My dashboard was just sending me all kinds of warning signs this morning!!!!!
Old March 9th, 2015, 1:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tlsouthern
My car does the same thing. It started and it was exactly what one of the many recalls examined. Took it in still happens. It is dangerous and one day people are fining to die and its all Chevys fault. This is a recall. It's lemon cars when it happens to this many people and no one can fix it. They don't know what it is. And to top it off the answer they offered T the dealer. Buy a new car!!! Never ever another Chevy.
All makes and models of chevy's do it.

Quick Reply: VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!